Shades of 1d Reds

The output of Perkins, Bacon from 1840 to 1880.
orchidman999

Shades of 1d Reds

Post by orchidman999 »

As an ex colour matcher in the plastics industry for 11 years I've always been interested in the shades of the perforated 1d Reds. I am working on a method to quantify the colour, rather than ,orange red, give it colour coordinates. Anyone else interested in this subject.
What were the colours like when they came off the press. We will never know. A great subject.
Peter Fowler
PhilW

Re: Shades of 1d Reds

Post by PhilW »

Peter,
I will declare my interest. I collect the shades of C8 , C9 and C10-C13. The perf shades are extensive, am sure you agree. Are you a Mulready Group member ? there is postings history on this subject there. I welcome any initiatives on shade measurement systems. Some work has been done by others on spectroscopic measurements, studies of inks, whole topic is a complex field. I have no personal studies record: I use visual comparison together with guidance by experts / dealers. Am interested in any technical hypothesis. What stage are you at with this?
:) :)
Phil
PhilW
orchidman999

Post by orchidman999 »

Hi Phil, Thanks for your interest in colour measurement of 1d Reds, mainly C7-C13.
I have a very good scanner ,a Epson Perfection 4490.
I use SilverFast software to look at and analyse the colours. You can calibrate the scanner using a multi coloured target, before you scan the stamps. It is very complex software and I am still trying it out. Within the next few days I will start measuring colours of 1d reds, starting with C8A, Red Brown on white paper, which I have on and off cover.
Will keep you informed on how I am getting on.
Best wishes
Peter Fowler.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Peter
sounds very interesting. I have some "C8A" too but most only got certs as C8 due to "traces" of blueing. Its a tricky one. Would be something if your results were consistent for blueing traces or not. C8A is not catalogued for shades so interesting what your study comes up with. Have seen some darker red-browns though. Good luck with the software. Look forward to developments. :)
Regards
Phil
PhilW
AB1961

Post by AB1961 »

Hi Peter, I've been interested in all the Victorian shades for many years, I've wrote to all the Consultants , and I have filed all their replies. There is still a lot we don't know, and all the line engraved shades are speculative.
Especially the perforated issues. I find it fascinating despite the lack of concrete information.
Some well known members of the GBPS don't do shades and I fully understand this .Some members admit that after 25 years they are still no wiser, because the dealers
have different opinions so do the Expert Committees.
I have my own opinions and observations if you are interested. I have found some common ground amongst
us collectors and I'm confident that with more research
things will get better.
Regards, Andy.