Wartime forgeries

Any topic that we don't seem to have a particular section for ...
Tony Finch

Wartime forgeries

Post by Tony Finch »

During World War II the Germans made several forgeries of British stamps. The six lowest 1937 definitives with the Cross of David in place of the cross on the crown were quite well produced except that the perforations were wrong. They also made quasi forgeries of the 1937 Coronation and the 1935 Silver Jubilee issues. The latter are frequently offered for sale but are invariably described as having the inscription "THIS IS A JEWISH WAR". In fact the wording reads "THIS IS A JEWSH WAR" so they couldn't spell very well and no-one seems to notice!

But I am curious to know for whom these forgeries were intended. Did the Luftwaffe drop them over the countryside in the hope that someone would use them for postage? Does anyone know?
jimusedcontrols

Transfer from previous board: original post 840

Post by jimusedcontrols »

Hi Tony
it is quite a strange set up and I can heartily recommend the booklet "German Propaganda Paodies against Great Britain" by Wolfgang Baldus published by the GB and CW PS Switzerland in German or English. This is probably the most complete account.
They were not distributed by airdrop as originally planned due to allied superiority in the air but were meant to be distributed together with the forged pound notes. Then a dummy firm in Sweden was formed and altogether the distribution failed dismally I think.
A couple of used covers have recently been sold by auction. Wolfgang told me he knew the guy who had sent these covers to himself in the early 50's.

regards
James
Tony Finch

Transfer from previous board: original post 858

Post by Tony Finch »

Many thanks, James.

I must try to get hold of a copy of the book you mention. I am still surprised that so many advertisers overlook the spelling mistake! I presume that the covers contained the forged definitives since the "commemoratives" would surely never have been allowed through the post.
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1275

Post by Robinr »

Dear Tony, Jim and all,

Very interesting thread! I noticed a dealer's list pricing these items at well over £100 recently. Covers used and innocently accepted by a sorting office would probably be quite expensive!

What puzzles me is why they are called forgeries. Is there something implicit in the term that carries connotations of trickery and intent to mislead the buyer/user? It seems obvious that they are simple, and rather poorly done propaganda pseudo postage stamps.

Where might one buy the book?

Cheers,

Robin