Stock Exchange Forgeries 1872

The output of De La Rue from 1853 to 1901.
Tony

Stock Exchange Forgeries 1872

Post by Tony »

I've seen several articles on these, but no-one has mentioned the perforations. They appear to be too even to have been done except by a commercial perforator - has anyone any thoughts, please ?

Tony
David

Transfer from previous board: original post 22069

Post by David »

The quality of the perforations which I have seen (actual stamps and scans) on first sight appear to be of a quality of conntemporary issues. I have measured the perforation fingerprint of many of these, and the results show some characteristics more exaggerated than normal, such as pronounced undercutting of some of the intersections, large pitch variations and to a lesser extent the linear displacements. The perforation hole diameters are not inconsistent with some genuine issues. So far I have found very little perforation fingerprint consistency within individual stamps and from stamp to stamp. If you have a stock exchange forgery and you wish to send to me a 1200 dpi scan of it, I will measure its fingerprint and see if the results are consistent with the data I have on file. I hope this is of some help.
David
Tony

Transfer from previous board: original post 22331

Post by Tony »

David,
Thanks for your response - no stamp, I'm afraid, just saw some in catalogues and my curiosity was aroused, as a friend collects forgeries, and he's mentioned that perfs are often an indication.

Cheers

Tony