The Wilding 6d value

Anything to do with the small format Wilding definitives of 1952-67.
MikeOsborne

The Wilding 6d value

Post by MikeOsborne »

The catalogues show just 2 shades, the original Reddish Purple and the change to Deep Claret. This is patently far too simplistic. I have so many (good) shades in my own collection of cylinder blocks, that identifying the Deep Claret, which first appeared during the period of the St Edwards Crown watermark, is far from simple. It is also made even more complicated by the fact that the only shade listed by SG for the Multiple Crown issue is Deep Claret which makes little sense.
Can anyone offer me any guidance on this please, together with cylinder numbers if possible of the first 'Deep Claret' issue.
robinT

Transfer from previous board: original post 912

Post by robinT »

Hi Mike
As I am sure you know the colour is achieved using the dye Rhodamine B. This produces many variations in colour and all GB stamps containing it are of varying shades.
If you want to collect shades in spite of the problems involved a study using Ultra Violet light is recommended. The variable fluorescence seen will be a better guide than the colour variations you see without UV
Douglas Myall did considerable work on the Machin value of this colour and he considered that he could determine the printings(5 at least). I also followed in his footsteps and agreed with everything he stated - then some (now theres a first) Unfortunately I have sold my collection and my memory these days does not work very well!
But someone out there has my write up and Deegams notes are in his Catalogue.
I am sure this will help, because the problem is caused by the same chemical and physical reactions, which apply to all GB stamps containing this chemical
jake

Transfer from previous board: original post 1300

Post by jake »

I know this thread relates to the Wilding 6d value, but maybe the 6d pre-decimal value also has a relevance.
I recently acquired a 'study' undertaken by the Materials Section of the PO back in 1968/70, into the inks used on this value, which may well have been the same inks used on the Wildings.

I used the plural 'inks', because the study seeks to compare the properties of 'GL60733 British Inks', with '35LA1Z1 German Inks'. I did not know they (the PO) used two inks- or maybe they didn't and were considering a change?
Can anyone offer information

I have not studied the study in detail yet, but as robinT says, reaction under UV was part of the study, with varying fluorescent results. Will post more when I get round to it