6d Machin definitive

Anything to do with the Machin definitives issued from 1967 to 2022.
jake

6d Machin definitive

Post by jake »

Following the discovery of a small PO file from their Materials Section within which some of the material addressed the fugitive ink found on some used examples of the 6d, I'm looking closely at the 6d Machin definitive stamp.

It is probably a faint hope, as most of us will have disposed of such stamps as damaged or spoiled, but if anyone does have copies of the 6d with obvious staining from being soaked off paper for instance, could I borrow them for a short while?
Cheers
Tony Walker
robinT

Transfer from previous board: original post 2137

Post by robinT »

Doug Myall made a big thing of the study of Machins, steamed off paper.
His acomplice - whose name I cannot rememberwas the workhorse and nothing(?) was ever printed.
I found that there was much variation in the ink - but staining only happened during printing.
The ink was described as fugitive because the colour - under ultra violet light differed.

I never saw 'stained paper' at any time, only ik from printing on backs of some where not dried properly
busselton

Re: 6d Machin definitive

Post by busselton »

Hi

I am based in Western Australia

I have a cylinder block (cyl. 3 dot) of what is clearly a fugitive ink example of the 6d Reddish Purple. The ink has smudged and the value has absorbed the ink. Further the ink has absorbed markedly to the rear of the stamp (the gummed side)

I have photographs of both sides.

I can be emailed on ian.hillman@anatpro.com

Ian Hillman