Modern stamps

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Elizabeth II.
robinT

Modern stamps

Post by robinT »

Does any one out there care about modern GB?

Where are the boundaries now?

No one will stick their neck out to identify possible rarities and reliance on dealers is out of the question nowadays.
jimusedcontrols

Transfer from previous board: original post 737

Post by jimusedcontrols »

Robin

we all look back and wonder why more people were not more foresighted "in the old days" and did not get later rare items when they were readily available. With hindsight it is always easier to see these!
Gustamps are always advertising modern raritiesone should pick up but at the end of the day until things have settled down and got higher value catalogue status it is going to be the few dedicated and brave people who make money out of things like that (or not as is often the case - I remeber buying a sheet of Welsh 3d. stamps in 1967 as a top investment for some reason and also the England Winners for 7/6d as I was away the day they came out - my local stamp dealer told me they would be worth a fortune in the future!)
My tip is to get as much modern postal history as possible, especially nicely cancelled commercial mail using real stamps at the proper postal rates - in 50 years time they should be the new hens' teeth, especially the more elusive ones.
robinT

Transfer from previous board: original post 742

Post by robinT »

I was referring to that which is already rare - but not necessarily identified by many/any!!!!

In Sterling Machins I confirmed that a number of items I had were definitely rare - but no one would confirm this so they have gone to ?????

I still have a stamp which I and Deegam think is a 6d. coil stamp missing phosphor!!! probably the only one

I was the first person to identify machin head Type E - but you would not know it
I have identified a 4d sepia from a 2/- booklet printing - that was deliberately printed with a side band!!!!! A NEW stamp not recorded by anyone

But authority does not want to confirm these things so they go unoticed by most into the future - shame

These are not speculative they are factual and can be checked by anyone now.

Pearls before swine isnt in it!!!!!

RobinT
Bob Maushammer

Transfer from previous board: original post 1716

Post by Bob Maushammer »

I just got a copy of the new GBP 1.65 small Machin on a commercial cover (my first and only copy so far) and noticed that the curvy overprint of "Royal Mail" just NW of the queen's forehead says "MIIL" rather than "MAIL". The extra "I" is normally formed and is not a damaged "A". Has this been reported in the philatelic press? I wonder if it is found on just one position on the sheet, or what?

Bob Maushammer
USA
crazyh1

Transfer from previous board: original post 1717

Post by crazyh1 »

Bob,

the M11L overprint is the standard feature year code for 2011. Some info on the Norvic blog here http://norphil.blogspot.com/2011/04/mor ... -2011.html

Scott
Bob Maushammer

Transfer from previous board: original post 1718

Post by Bob Maushammer »

Thanks, Scott. I have also been informed by Bill Carritte about these. He sent along the GSM article about the new denominations and the codes.

Best regards, Bob