KEVIII 6d Booklets dilemma

Anything relating to British stamp books and booklets.
Robinr

KEVIII 6d Booklets dilemma

Post by Robinr »

6d booklet (SG BC1) identification dilemma

SG have the little two panes of 1½d brown x 2 booklet in their current list, at £65. In my old (1993) SG Four Kings catalogue, the booklet is not listed for price, but the panes (two side-by-side stamps) are listed at £5 each. Regular six-block panes are priced at £2.50 each.

Looking at this, and conjuring with the thought of what the panes might be priced at today, I wonder how the panes can be identified for origin. There are no cylinder numbers. Is it implicit that a mint pane would still have the selvage? If so, what about used?

But, still on mint, if somebody with panes of both could scan them side by side for selvedge comparison, that would be very helpful!

I have a bag of KE on piece, with a couple of hundred 1½d among which there are a few in side-by-side pairs. How could I possibly know if one or more of these pairs is from the little 6d booklet?

I’m not being facetious, I’d really like to know. Can anybody enlighten me please?

Robin (Restall)
robinT

Transfer from previous board: original post 1356

Post by robinT »

Hi fellow Robin

The answer is you cannot be certain unless you obtain a complete booklet.
Although the panes are CTCT(m), these can be faked quite easily.

Sorry

RobinT
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1357

Post by Robinr »

Thanks Robin,

Thanks for answering!

I guess your answer is what I expected.

I have one booklet from years ago, and have been wondering about how to show it to advantage. I thought of exploding it and mounting the covers and panes as a set, along with a complete booklet. That little bit of plain buff paper looks pretty unimpressive by itself! On the other hand taking it apart feels like irreparable vandalism. What do you think?

Incidentally, what sheets were the two-panes cut from?

Cheers, Robin R.
robinT

Transfer from previous board: original post 1360

Post by robinT »

Hi

All the panes of two came from the first two columns of standard sheets.
These were stitched into the covers and then cut to size, with a guillotine

Some of them do actually have cyl. nos. on - those at the top middle and bottoms also show the I 1/2V cuts. The top and bottom panes also are CTTT rather than CTCT

When I displayed them I did not consider impressing anyone, merely showing them as they were/are.

There are a lot of booklets without printing inside the covers throughout the GB issues - including quite recent ones.

If you get into booklets you will have to get used to it.

One other point, most take an inteest in booklets because of the included stamps but the covers and their manufacture is just as interesting.

A study I am doing has Harrison printed covers(Typo) with as many flaws as on stamps - the worst booklets Harrison ever printed.

RobinT
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1367

Post by Robinr »

All very helpful, thanks a lot. I'm coming to the end of my questions... I have several used KEVIII penny-ha'pennies on piece, obviously from booklets judging by the perfs. It occurred to me to measure, not the printed stamp, but the height of the whole piece of paper. It surprised me to discover that they ranged from23,5mm to 25mm, mostly around 24mm which seems to be just a bit too close.

I then measured the height of 20 six-stamp panes and found that they varied from 47.5mm to 48.75mm. This suggests to me that booklets, at least the KEVIII booklets were cut by two separate actions. If this is old news to old hands so be it, but it seems odd to me.

I get the impression that 48mm is the "Official" height, but if so, it seems just a bit too close.

Cheers, Robin R

ps. I'm i pressed that you didn't consider impressing anybody, but I'm not sure how you displayed the booklet - just as a little block of buff paper? Would it not be of interest to show a booklet from the top, and the bottom as well as one of the common ones, and see the difference between CTTT and CTCT? Come to that, also one with a control number? But if they sat there as four little wads of buff paper... RR
robinT

Transfer from previous board: original post 1380

Post by robinT »

Well you have opened a can of worms!

What you display is what you want others to see/know/admire etc. etc.......

Just showing one EVIII booklet can be intriguing if you show
Covers in and out
Panes with varying perfs, cyl.nos. I1/2V cuts top and bottom
Flaws!!!

However, normally hat little booklet would be shown with others to illustrate booklets, machine vended booklets and so on.

Blanks are interesting because they are blanks
missing, deliberate experimental or why?

Later booklets have printing, but first things first