Question about 1964 telegram.

Post Office and private telegraph stamps, forms, and ephemera.
Ton Voorbraak

Question about 1964 telegram.

Post by Ton Voorbraak »

Can anyone in the group explain the tariff of this
Multiple address telegram.jpg
telegram?
earsathome

Re: Question about 1964 telegram.

Post by earsathome »

Hi Tom
15 words at 1d per word = 15 pence = 1/3d as per stamp.
Hope that helps.
Ron.
Ton Voorbraak

Post by Ton Voorbraak »

Hello Ron,

Thanks for the suggestion.
In 1964, the rate for a standard inland telegram was 5 shilling for 12 words or less.
For an "overnight" telegram (sent between 8 a.m. and midnight) the charge was 2s.6d.

The nearest possibility would be a multiple address telegram (A telegram to be sent to 2 or more addresses in the same delivery area at a reduced charge).
The Post Office guide of July 1964 reads: The charge is made for each chargeable word in the text and in all the addresses at 5s. for the first 12 words and 5d. for each extra word.
In additon 1s.8d. copy rate is charged for each address after the first.
In the Post Office Guide of 1962 this rate is given as 3s. plus 3d. for each extra word and the copy rate as 1s. (1/3 of the normal rate).
Were extra words also being charged at this discount??
If so, then the above telegram of 15 words could be charged at 1/3 of the old rate, being 3s. plus 9d. = 1s.3d. At this point Ron, you are right with the suggestion of 1d. per word.
Another question is: When was the rate changed from 3s. to 5s.?
I have several telegrams from 1964 but all with the 5s. rate and all from September to December.
Is there someone in the group who owns a 1963 Post Office Guide?
earsathome

Post by earsathome »

Hello Ton,
I thought my suggestion was a bit 'basic' :P
I was not sure how much you knew about the subject, but it is obviously a lot more than me!
Thanks for the information regarding the rates and though we do not collect telegraphs as such, any information regarding philately is grist to our mill.

My wife and I both worked in Overseas Telegraphs in London (longer ago than I care to think of) and I worked in the Post Offices in various places for the majority of my working life, and that obviously included telegrams. However I have forgotten so much. .
Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Ron.