Economy envelopes and Reuse labels

General postal history discussions on any topics we don't have a specific category for.
Robinr

Economy envelopes and Reuse labels

Post by Robinr »

The use of economy reuse labels offers quite a few diverse postal history avenues to follow. I have been crawling through a lot of apparent leads online, but all have been dead-ends.

I'm particularly interested in the 1937 to the early years of WWII and would be most grateful for any comments or links to help me along the way. For example, when were economy labels first used? When did the government encourage their use? Every example I've seen bears basic KGVI stamps (and of course, later on, QEII ).

I've not seen a single example with any commemorative stamp, but I suppose they must exist?

Were any books written about this subject? Is there a catalogue or guide to covers carrying reuse labels?

All and any leads most gratefully received.

Robin Restall
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Transfer from previous board: original post 29276

Post by Mike Jackson »

Robin, I can't think of any reference material on economy labels. I have a handful, 1944—1953, but all with definitives.

Mike
mozzerb
Site Admin

Transfer from previous board: original post 29291

Post by mozzerb »

Post Office Circular 22nd May 1940 p237

PAPER SHORTAGE – RE-USE OF ENVELOPES

“In the interests of economy, it has been decided to allow envelopes to be used again for postal purposes, provided that old stamps and stamp impressions and the original addresses are completely covered with white or very lightly tinted paper completely stuck down and that postage is fully prepaid with adhesive stamps. The postage stamps must in every case be affixed along the top of the envelope at the right hand corner on the same side as the new address in a position convenient for date-stamping.

Postage cannot be prepaid in money or by means of franking (postage meter) impressions in the case of the re-used envelopes.

Re-used envelopes are not admissible for registration purposes, and envelopes of registered packets are not suitable for re-use in the post,

The above restrictions apply particularly to posting by the general public, Instructions will be issued later respecting the re-use for official purposes of envelopes received from the public and from Government Departments.”

----------------------------------

Post Office Circular 5th June 1940 p259

Modified previous entry to allow meter impressions on re-used envelopes

Post Office Circular 26th November 1941 p529

DF1094 PAPER SHORTAGE – RE-USE OF ENVELOPES

“The re-use of envelopes which have previously passed through the post is not without drawbacks from the Post Office point of view, but having regard to the paper shortage, objection need not be raised to envelopes being used for more than one transmission by post under the following conditions:–

Unregistered Post. – Old postage stamps, stamp impressions and addresses (including the address of the sender if no longer relevant) must be completely covered by gummed white strips which must be well stuck down. Stamps in prepayment of fresh postage must, in every case, be affixed along the top of the reconditioned envelope at the right hand corner on the same side as the new address in a position convenient for date stamping. Generally speaking used registered envelopes are not suitable for re-use by unregistered post but may be so re-used provided that they are covered both back and front with suitable adhesive paper in such a way as to hide effectively all traces of previous registration.

Registered Post.– Envelopes over 10 inches by 5 inches or otherwise over 50 square inches in area which have previously been used for the transmission of packets by registered post, may henceforth be used again for a similar purpose by the public as well as by Government Departments on the conditions announced at page 317 of the Post Office Circular of the 23rd of July 1941, which are repeated below.

1. They must not contain coin, banknotes, or other forms of easily negotiable money, or valuables such as jewellery or gold or silver articles.
2. All old addresses on the envelopes must be completely covered by a gummed label and, if this is not of sufficient size to cover the postmarks and any registration label already on the envelope, strips of paper must be used to cover these also.
3. The reconditioned envelope when close down must be strong enough to be appropriate for its contents and must be securely fastened.
Censorship.– Re-used envelopes with gummed strips attached are inadmissible for transmission to censorable countries including Eire and Northern Ireland.

General
The above notice cancels the previous notice on the subject at page 237 of the Post Office Circular of 22nd of May 1940, but does not affect the instructions at page 259 of the Post Office Circular of the 5th of June, 1940, regarding the re-use of envelopes when fresh postage is prepaid by means of franking (postage meter) impressions, or the various notices which have been issued respecting the re-use for official purposes of envelopes received from the public and from Government Departments.”

Commemoratives were generally issued in preference to definitives where available, so you do see them on economy label covers from time to time (a couple of examples shown) -- but since there were no commemoratives between 1940 and 1946, the biggest period of use of economy labels, they're less common.
Attachments
29291_1.jpg
Regards
Maurice Buxton
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 29305

Post by Robinr »

Dear M and M,

Many thanks indeed for the responses. Maurice, your encyclopaedic response is, as usual, not only helpful, but tremendously useful. I now have ammunition for write-ups, and pointers to help in assessing whether or not to bid for something. And clues for research. I'll end up becoming a PH devotee I can see!

Of particular interest is the rule that the label should completely cover the previously used stamp... ha! That certainly wasn't taken fearfully to heart.

The sad thing about the Discussion Board (Good Reason No. 10 for joining the GBPS) is that the discussion board isn't. I don't recall a discussion ever - the last attempt was by Robin T a couple of years ago, but the Channel Isles is a difficult subject to get GB folk excited about anyway.

The bulletin board function that enables one to get informative expertise like that freely given by a few good guys certainly does make it worthwhile. Thanks again.

Best wishes, Robin