"1d." postmark on a swiss internal cover ?!

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
nitram

"1d." postmark on a swiss internal cover ?!

Post by nitram »

The attached cover is sent from Basle (29.05.1843) to Geneve (31.05.1843). The letter is written in the english language. Has anybody an explanation for the "1d." postmark in red on the front? Is this of english origin?
Thanks in advance for any comment and kind regards,
nitram
Attachments
1843_Basle_Genf.JPG
Winston W

Re: "1d." postmark on a swiss internal cover ?!

Post by Winston W »

I wonder if it was sent from Britain, prepaid 1d to port (hence the 1d in red), and it then got to Geneva by way of Basle? If you post a photo of the markings on the reverse, that might give a better clue. Also, what date is given in the letter?
nitram

Post by nitram »

Thank you for your feedback! Please find attached the reverse of the cover. The date in the letter is the 29.05.1843 in Basle. Letter is written in English!
Attachments
reverse.jpg
Winston W

Post by Winston W »

The new information casts doubt on my initial feedback. However I would add that the "1d." handstruck postmark in red on the front has similarities to the Hull examples shown in the book “Uniform Penny Post: Handstruck Paid Postage Stamps of England and Wales 1840-1853” by Steve Walker, published by the GBPS. I suggest you compare and see if you can match your "1d." handstruck postmark with any of the book examples. Winston W.