Please help me with these unknown items in my collection.

Any topic that we don't seem to have a particular section for ...
skilo54

Please help me with these unknown items in my collection.

Post by skilo54 »

Greetings from Canada!

After reading the "Pages from a Competition Winner" in the latest newsletter, I was reminded of some items I have in my collection that I know very little about. I have posted some images in hopes that a fellow member may have some information on exactly what these are and what they were used for etc. I would also be very appreciative of any reference links that anyone may have so I can do some research on my own possibly.

Thank-you for your time, and I look forward to any and all feedback!

Kind Regards,
skilo54

Transfer from previous board: original post 1588

Post by skilo54 »

In total there are 10 items, here is a selection of a couple of them:
Attachments
1588_1.jpg
skilo54

Transfer from previous board: original post 1589

Post by skilo54 »

Attachments
1589_1.jpg
1589_2.jpg
Bob Maushammer

Transfer from previous board: original post 1590

Post by Bob Maushammer »

I am not an expert on fiscals, but these are clearly embossed stamps used for bills or notes--i.e., debt instruments. The lending bank probably used pre-printed forms with a fancy imprint to the left of the document that left a place for the embossing to be applied in the amount correct for the value of the bill/note. I personally have not seen these before. I wonder which bank did this.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Transfer from previous board: original post 1591

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Shawn. These are revenue stamps applied to promisory notes and bills of exchange to collect the stamp duty that such notes attracted. I guess the notes were like negotiable IOUs. Booth's Catalogue of the Revenue Stamps of the UK (3rd edn) lists 781 different Bill or Note stamps, not including those from Ireland! The M to the left of the crown may indicate the Manchester Stamp Office. Best wishes, Mike
skilo54

Transfer from previous board: original post 1592

Post by skilo54 »

Hi Bob and Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly regarding these revenue stamps. I appreciate you both explaining their use and mentioning the Catalogue. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on the relevant pages so I can properly identify them.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Shawn