GLASSINE INTERLEAVES & PULLING OUT STAMP BLOCKS

Any topic that we don't seem to have a particular section for ...
MIKE

GLASSINE INTERLEAVES & PULLING OUT STAMP BLOCKS

Post by MIKE »

Advice needed to retain my sanity - does anyone have a conclusive solution to prevent stamp blocks being pulled out by the glassine interleaves, if I have too reposition one more block I am selling up and taking up off the radar wooden spoon whittling.
Tony

Re: GLASSINE INTERLEAVES & PULLING OUT STAMP BLOCKS

Post by Tony »

Hi, Mike,

Seems to be just you and me chatting these days !

I presume you mean that you have blocks in a stock book, and when you turn the pages either static electrickery or the speed with which you flip open the pages causes the block to move or slide out ?

All I can think of is that you try opening the pages more slowly, possibly using a thumb to hold down the bottom corner of the glassine sheet, then sliding it horizontally across the stamps, instead of lifting it.

If the blocks are small enough, you could try putting each one onto a stock card, then putting the stock card into the stock book.

Should you have any spare wooden spoons, please let me know - my latest curry ate my one.

Tony
MIKE

Post by MIKE »

Dear Tony - that was as helpful as the curry stain down the front of my shirt, I thought that this forum may be more frequently used but it would seem we are the only two collectors on the planet but thanks for the response anyway - it is really is so .... and as I collect blocks I am fast losing the will to live or straighten each one when opening a page, maybe pinning butterflies to cardboard would be more satisfying.
Mike
Tony

Post by Tony »

Mike,

Your appreciation is much appreciated.

There are many ways to store and display blocks without using a stockbook with glassine interleaves. You give no indication of the size of the blocks you collect, which might assist those trying to assist you, but I shall assume pending further information that they are corner traffic light blocks, corner cylinder blocks, or interpane trafic light blocks. Should this not be the case, please let me know.

The blocks that I have, from KGV Downey Heads right through to QEII 1970 Christmas issue, are kept in Hagner sheets, which protect two blocks per page. Larger ones I mount in Hawid mounts on a black card background, trimmed to the same size as the Hagner sheets if at all possible, and the few complete lower sheet rows that I possess are again in Hawid strips, mounted diagonally across black card sheets.

There are various proprietary products that will remove curry stains from garments, available from all good supermarkets. With the drastic decline in British butterfly populations over the past 25 years, I would advise against your final solution.

HTH

Tony
MIKE

Post by MIKE »

I have collected all Brit stamps over the years and gone from type to another depending upon availability or cost - primarily on Ebay. From these collections have arisen studies in all reigns together with reconstructions. As the first books I brought were Lighthouse 34 page colour coordinated to a monarch (neat eh?) the collection has progressed in these books and this is my dilemma - block sizes can be from cylinder size to quarter sheets, in fact I need two more books (now totalling 22 volumes) to accommodate my ever increasing pre-decimal constant minor flaws which is most likely my area of expertise. I guess what I really need is an anti static cloth but without any chemicals which may be harmful, I have trawled the internet but without any luck and was hoping the may be some wizen old sage with the pearls of wisdom to lay before me.
PS I was joking about the butterflies (I know you know) I own a very organic garden company and am on the very best of terms with our flora and fauna when its behaving itself but if it doesn't..
Thanks for the response - nice chatting - Mike