Received from HM Ships parcel post handstamp, presumably WW2 period - anyone seen this before?

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
mozzerb
Site Admin

Received from HM Ships parcel post handstamp, presumably WW2 period - anyone seen this before?

Post by mozzerb »

The piece in the attached scan turned up in a pound box today -- it's from what appears to be an OHMS registered parcel, with a 3d stamp for the registration fee cancelled with a boxed parcel post mark "Received from HM Ships".

I've not seen this mark before, and it definitely looks unusual. For what it's worth, it's not listed in my Collect British Postmarks, although James Mackay's Postmarks of England and Wales has an illustration of something similar. Anyone know any more about this one?
Attachments
hm-ships-parcel-post.jpg
Regards
Maurice Buxton
earsathome

Re: Received from HM Ships parcel post handstamp, presumably WW2 period - anyone seen this before?

Post by earsathome »

Hi Mozzerb,
I am not sure if you have the 9th edition of S.G. Collect British Postmarks but the scan shows the illustration on page 287. I cannot track down one with Parcel post on it and the notation after the illustration reads
"Received from H.M. Ships, machine die" but that looks like a rubber stamp doesn't it.
Cheers
Ron
Attachments
hmships.jpg
mozzerb
Site Admin

Re: Received from HM Ships parcel post handstamp, presumably WW2 period - anyone seen this before?

Post by mozzerb »

Hi Ron,

I only have the 8th edition, but it also has that picture on page 247. I think it looks cruder than it is in real life (and so more like a rubber parcel post strike) because it was traced rather than scanned originally?
Regards
Maurice Buxton