Certificate of Posting Charges 1877-1982
The introduction of certificates of posting for ordinary, non-registered letters, at a nominal charge of ½d paid by means of a stamp on the form, was strongly urged by Rowland Hill in the 1840s as an additional means of security in the mails, but the proposal met with a cool reception. Abortive experiments with certificates stamped with a ½d embossed die were finally carried out in a few major cities in 1877-82, but it was not until 1911 that the Post Office introduced them nationwide as a regular service.
The fee was per item posted and always nominal. In 1982 it was abolished completely. The various special services such as registration had their own certificates as proof of posting, but these were given free as part of the service.
|½d each||Tried experimentally in three towns – Liverpool, Birmingham and Bath – until 30th November 1878, although some have been recorded used (unofficially) in other places|
|Experiment ceased||Issue of certificates discontinued on 17th January 1879, although some were used after this|
|½d each||Tried experimentally again in Glasgow until 8th February 1882|
|½d per item posted||From 10th September 1912 more than one item of mail could be included on a certificate – they had spaces for additional addresses|
|1d per item|
|1p per item|
|Charge abolished||Certificates now free of charge on request (recent ones are printed from the counter machine rather than being a separate form)|