Detecting the watermark

The output of Perkins, Bacon from 1840 to 1880.
asmodeus

Detecting the watermark

Post by asmodeus »

I use the books from Brown/ Fisher and in the "Plate Charateristics" tables the position of the watermark is mentioned. How shall I dedect the watermark? From the front or back? Thanks for your help!
asmodeus

Transfer from previous board: original post 588

Post by asmodeus »

I use the books from Brown/ Fisher and in the "Plate Charateristics" tables the position of the watermark is mentioned. How shall I dedect the watermark? From the front or back? Thanks for your help!
pennyreds

Transfer from previous board: original post 589

Post by pennyreds »

It's much easier from the back. You can hold the stamp up to the light or place it face down on a dark surface - both can work. You can use watermark fluid to make things clearer as well.
asmodeus

Transfer from previous board: original post 590

Post by asmodeus »

Brown/Fisher discribes the watermarks in his books. But from which side? Normally I detect watermarks from the back.

@pennyred: Thank you for your posting.
petrod

Transfer from previous board: original post 598

Post by petrod »

I know what you are getting at Asmodeus - in fact the Brown/Fisher books do not state from which side of the stamp the position of the watermark is observed. However, since the watermark characteristics referred to are "Imprimatur Features", my guess is that they would be looking from the front. Incidentally, I am not at all sure that this information is really of much use in identification unless you have an imprimatur copy. Is there any guarantee that issued sheets would have the watermarks in the same position? (Think of inverted watermark copies.)
asmodeus

Transfer from previous board: original post 599

Post by asmodeus »

@petrod: Thank you for your help and oppinion. It is only a small help to identify the plates. Other opinions?