Amusing cds error

Any topic that we don't seem to have a particular section for ...
Seahorse

Amusing cds error

Post by Seahorse »

Apparently predates the coronation of Charles II and possibly the Bishop mark also.
skilo54

Transfer from previous board: original post 1936

Post by skilo54 »

Ha-ha! Looks like someone was able to figure out time travel! ;) The movie 'Back to the Future' comes to mind!

I seem to remember having a Machin stamp with a similar error and once I get my Machin stockbook back from a fellow I lent it to I will check into it and hopefully scan and post an image for you to see.

Have a Good One,

Skilo54
Tony Finch

Transfer from previous board: original post 1964

Post by Tony Finch »

from Samuel Pepys' diary:

Thursday 18 April 1661
Up with my workmen and then about 9 o’clock took horse with both the Sir Williams for Walthamstow, and there we found my Lady and her daughters all; and a pleasant day it was, and all things else, but that my Lady was in a bad mood, which we were troubled at, and had she been noble she would not have been so with her servants, when we came thither, and this Sir W. Pen took notice of, as well as I. He reminded me to write to our mutual friend, Lord Winchester, and this I did, taking the letter to the post office for which I was required to pay the sum of twenty two pence and affix a small label upon the envelope. After dinner we all went to the Church stile, and there eat and drank, and I was as merry as I could counterfeit myself to be. Then, it raining hard, we left Sir W. Batten, and we two returned and called at Mr. —— and drank some brave wine there, and then homewards again and in our way met with two country fellows upon one horse, which I did, without much ado, give the way to, but Sir W. Pen would not, but struck them and they him, and so passed away, but they giving him some high words, he went back again and struck them off their horse, in a simple fury, and without much honour, in my mind, and so came away. Home, and I sat with him a good while talking, and then home and to bed.
Seahorse

Transfer from previous board: original post 1967

Post by Seahorse »

Quote, Tony Finch "He reminded me to write to our mutual friend, Lord Winchester, and this I did, taking the letter to the post office for which I was required to pay the sum of twenty two pence and affix a small label upon the envelope."

Excellent !

Provenance is all.......
railwaynut

Transfer from previous board: original post 1987

Post by railwaynut »

Your example went back 330 years but I can more than double the time travel with this registered cover which is postmarked over 700 years out of date. (I have no idea how it was delivered seeing it hasn't yet been posted !)
Seahorse

Transfer from previous board: original post 1990

Post by Seahorse »

Nice cover.
From Buxton to Bakewell. A twist on John Ruskin's comment on the construction of the Midland Railway through the Peak District "..now every fool in Buxton can be at Bakewell in half-an-hour, and every fool in Bakewell at Buxton."

Unless he is a postman lost in space-time......