THE ROYAL SILVER WEDDING STAMPS OF 1948

Any topic that we don't seem to have a particular section for ...
Wilding Mad

THE ROYAL SILVER WEDDING STAMPS OF 1948

Post by Wilding Mad »

It must have been during the 1960s when visiting a collectors fair as I recall when I purchased this philatelic magazine for the price of 2/- by the name of "Monthly Stamp Digest" that was issued during February of 1949 with a retail price of 6d.
IMG_20210707_184547.jpg
When I look through it now the majority of advertisers have long gone into obscurity along with their prices that they quoted for their stamps.

Amongst its contents I came across what was then a new issue being that of the 1948 omnibus set of the Silver Wedding stamps basically comprising of two values for each country/colony, it was only 3 years since the end of world war II in Europe and the face value of the second stamp in the set was quite high with many of them being up to £1 or the equivalent, and I guess with the ordinary collector at that time they must have been financially 'out of reach' as the value of the £ then was equivalent to £39-50 of today's money. To have purchased the complete omnibus set would of cost you an arm and a leg (you work it out) !
Reference > Kate Rose Morley's calculator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://inflation.iamkate.com/

Fortunately for those wishing to acquire them the issue dates was staggered, the first one being the British version (not listed) issued 26th of April 1948 and others having been released as late as January 1949, some issues do not appear to have been included that had overprints such as Tangier and Kuwait etc

Here is one of the listed versions (Saint Vincent)
IMG_20210707_203257.jpg
Finally here is the list as seen in the magazine at the time >
IMG_20210707_180422.jpg
You might have noticed that 3 of the release dates have not been inserted, this was due to the fact that the magazine was published in February of that year but the three omitted ones had not yet been released by then.
Therefore to bring you up to date, the following release dates can now be given in order to complete the list >

British Solomon Islands. 14/03/49
Gilbert and Ellice Islands. 29/08/49
Pitcairn Island. 01/08/49

It would appear that all of these later released issues came from what are fairly remote islands located in the Pacific.

The above list can be used for a quick reference as to issue dates !
WM.