Surface Printed 8d Orange SG156

The output of De La Rue from 1853 to 1901.
Kevin Preece

Surface Printed 8d Orange SG156

Post by Kevin Preece »

I recently bought the attached item - an 8d orange lettered DG on cover from Liverpool to Curacao. The stamp has a straight edge (guillotined?) left wing margin. My (2001) SG QV Specialized mentions this variety, but refers to articles by FM Johnson in April/May 1977 SG Stamp Monthly. Can anybody provide me with more information on this stamp?
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Transfer from previous board: original post 629

Post by Mike Jackson »

Kevin, my cousin, John Jackson, collects Dutch Indies and offers the following background info on the cover:

Cannot help with the stamp, but it was carried by the SS Bolivar of the West India and Pacific Steamship Company (W.I and P.S.C.). They operated out of Liverpool to various West Indian Ports. The Bolivar is listed as leaving Liverpool on 5 September and arriving Curacao on 1 October 1879.

De Nederlandse Scheepspost Volume II Nederland en het Western 1600-1900 by C.J.P. Delbeke RDP
The West India and Pacific Steam-Ship Company - The Mail Contracts 1865-1888 by Colin Tabeart. Rossiter Postal History Journal Volume No. 7 : 2006.
Tim Burgess

Transfer from previous board: original post 630

Post by Tim Burgess »

Dear Kevin

Kindly provide me with your e-mail address so I can send you a copy of an article recently written by Ray Simpson and Peter Sargent on guillotined wing margins. You can contact me at pennyred@earthlink.net

Best regards,

Tim Burgess
Kevin Preece

Transfer from previous board: original post 631

Post by Kevin Preece »

Thanks, Mike. I knew about the W.I and P.S.C. but not the sailing dates.
Timothy, thanks for your response. I'll email you shortly.
David

Re: Surface Printed 8d Orange SG156

Post by David »

Kevin

A liitle detail you may find of interest.
The 8d guillotined stamps (from the F and G columns) have the same Sectionl Fingerprints on their other 3 edges, as the 8d perforated wing margin stamps from the F and G columns.
Also, these fingerprints are the same as the fingerprints on the 4d wing margin stamps from the F and G columns. i.e. They were all perforated on the same punch set.

David