10/- Somerset House

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Edward VII.
Murray Gellatly

10/- Somerset House

Post by Murray Gellatly »

Does anyone know what the biggest mint multiple known outside of a museum collection is ?

Also does anyone have an "easy" way of establishing which are the De La Rue and Somerset House stamps?
Thanks
steve bainbridge

Transfer from previous board: original post 182

Post by steve bainbridge »

Hi! murray. I have posted some of these H.Vs for members benefit. The obvious way is to collect fine c.d.s. or registered cancels that tell one the exact date through the cancellation. This also works well with shade differences. If it is pre 1911 for example it must be De La Rue and vice versa. I hope this will help in your identification of the different printers.
steve.
Murray Gellatly

Transfer from previous board: original post 184

Post by Murray Gellatly »

Steve,
My "interest" in these is due to my collection of ED VII issues overprinted for use in the BPO in Morocco. I agree totally on dates for used.For Morocco only De La Rue and S/H exist, its single mint copies of the S/H printing that I find difficult to identify. Any suggestions on that quandry ?
Murray
steve bainbridge

Transfer from previous board: original post 186

Post by steve bainbridge »

Hi! murray. generally speaking, the Somerset house stamps have a Reddish hue when compared to the Dull Purleples and Lilacs of the De La Rue Printings. I have posted an example from Somerset House as a comparison to the De La Rue half-crown values.
steve.