Post Office Identification Request

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Edward VII.
GbBouv2014

Post Office Identification Request

Post by GbBouv2014 »

I thought I posted this recently but I don’t see it so I’ll try again.

I have a mourning cover from St. James Palace franked with a 1d. R. H. stamp. It is cancelled with a squared circle device. It shows “HO” at the 9 o’clock position and a faint “W” at the 3 o’clock position. It was cancelled 29 April 1904. Can anyone tell me the name of the post office that applied the cancel?
jimusedcontrols

Re: Post Office Identification Request

Post by jimusedcontrols »

Almost certainly LO at left and therefore either London W or London NW. West would fit St James. Can you post a scan?
ATB
James
GbBouv2014

Post by GbBouv2014 »

I'll be happy to once I learn how to do so.
GbBouv2014

Post by GbBouv2014 »

I think I've succeeded in adding the requested scan. Whose passing prompted the use of a mourning envelope?
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
jimusedcontrols

Post by jimusedcontrols »

Sent from Hounslow Middlesex but no idea who was being mournde.
GbBouv2014

Post by GbBouv2014 »

Thank you. I had assumed incorrectly the piece was received and cancelled by a post office very near the palace. This adds an unexpected detail to the item's history.
GbBouv2014

Post by GbBouv2014 »

I am resuming my research on the cover, trying to answer the question "why does it exist?" My brief research revealed that Prince George had passed a few weeks before this item was sent. That certainly appears to be a candidate for why a mourning cover was used [was it customary to keep a supply of mourning covers on hand or were they prepared as required?]

Was the addressee a person of some prominence; for example, would he be mentioned in the news, did he hold a prominent position in government or business? Perhaps someone with access to a biographical reference work or newspaper index might uncover information on him.

What is/was Oxford Lodge - a hotel? royal property? place of business?

Is there a key question I haven't asked yet? This is my first attempt at such detailed research and I would very much appreciate advice. Many thanks in advance.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

GbBouv2014 wrote:was it customary to keep a supply of mourning covers on hand or were they prepared as required?
For a large household -- especially a royal household where correct protocol was very important -- I suspect they kept a supply on hand, especially if they needed to have a crest added on the flap.
GbBouv2014 wrote:Was the addressee a person of some prominence; for example, would he be mentioned in the news, did he hold a prominent position in government or business? Perhaps someone with access to a biographical reference work or newspaper index might uncover information on him.

What is/was Oxford Lodge - a hotel? royal property? place of business?
It's a common surname, unfortunately, so it would be hard to look him up. From a quick Google all I could find for "Oxford Lodge Bexleyheath" was Addition to billiard room, 133 Oxford Lodge, Broadway, Bexleyheath for Bexleyheath Liberal and Radical Club, 1913 in a Bexley archives site.

Your best bet would be a Bexleyheath town directory -- if you contact the local reference library, they might well have one and be willing to look the name and address up for you, especially if you explain the interesting royal connection?

Edit: on a followup looking at some of the other Google links, I came across a mention of a William George Robinson of that address in a PDF of the Kelly's London Suburban Directory, 1896. Part 6. Southern: Court & Clerical Directories "Court" section (which is very long -- I presume it means he was a solicitor, not referring to the royal court).
Andy Donaldson

Post by Andy Donaldson »

For things like this I find "The Gazette" invaluable. See https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

Best of all, as it is a public record, it is free to search and download as much as you want. My displays have lots of snippets taken from the Gazette liberally spread throughout!

I had a quick look and found that "William George Robinson" was a "Gentleman" who died in 1906 - thus having an entry in The Gazette relating to his will and probate (see attached). I just searched on "Oxford Lodge" AND "Robinson" to find this. There were more entries but I will leave you to look those up.

I hope that helps.

Andy
Attachments
WGR - London Gazette 1906-03-20.jpg
Andy Donaldson FRPSL
http://www.underprints.com
GbBouv2014

Post by GbBouv2014 »

I have only now returned to this thread. I am very grateful for the image announcing Mr. Robinson's passing.

Since my local club here in San Antonio has had no meeting place for a year and has resisted establishing a ZOOM capability, I am preparing a brief presentation on this cover for my previous club in North Carolina that hosts ZOOM meetings once a month.

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.