Elusive N1e

The first George V issues of 1911-12.
Downey Head

Elusive N1e

Post by Downey Head »

I have been trying to find the N1e variety White Blob under ear and have had no luck but have found a Control block of three Die 1b with the same variety and also a used single. This leads me to believe that the SG Four Kings is in error. Has anyone got a copy of this variety and if so could you please share it with me to confirm my thoughts one way or the other. Thanks Fred
Downey Head

Transfer from previous board: original post 29259

Post by Downey Head »

Contorl with white blob under ear.
Attachments
29259_1.png
Downey Head

Transfer from previous board: original post 29260

Post by Downey Head »

Used copy of white blob under ear.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Elusive N1e

Post by Mike Jackson »

Fred, the Four Kings is not in error; it is a co-incidence. The attached is a scan of my example of N1e, and is the very stamp illustrated in SG (although SG retouched the flaw before publication).

Your strip is from Philatelic Plate 8, the same plate which has N2g. If your strip had been a block of six, you would also have had half of N2g (!) — the flaw in the top left corner (but not the blob above E, which appeared later).

To compound the co-incidence, the two strips, from Die 1a and Die 1b, both have the same control piece with a short first figure 1!

Best wishes, Mike
Attachments
31227_1.jpg
stephen bainbridge

Re: Elusive N1e

Post by stephen bainbridge »

hello fred. having viewed your used copy against mikes strip of three and your strip of three the plate flaws are the same. if you look closer at the used copy of said flaw it is in a different position i.e. the listed flaw resembles an earing in the lobe of the kings ear. the used copy is ' lower , down?. has a piece been taken out of the stamp?. high magnification required!.

regards, steve.