Penny red plate number sizes

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Queen Victoria.
MIKE

Penny red plate number sizes

Post by MIKE »

Just reconfiguring the entire collection of Victoria as one does and to consolidate the amount somewhat I thought I would included various miscellaneous penny reds into my plate collection - as, to ensure the correct replacement plate number I have compared the numbers and whilst doing so I have noticed that some plate numbers are of a different size for example 88 RHS the 2nd 8 in tiny and 78 has two varying size and definitions, anyone have any pearls of wisdom on this matter?
Thanks in advance - Mike
Last edited by MIKE on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mozzerb
Site Admin

Re: SG43/44

Post by mozzerb »

MIKE wrote:I have compared the numbers and whilst doing so I have noticed that some plate numbers are of a different size for example 88 RHS the 2nd 8 in tiny and 78 has two varying size and definitions
AFAIK, the way the plates were made was for a transfer roller impression to be made from the original master die, the numbers were hand-engraved onto that, and then it was used to make the 240 impressions for the plate.

So the numbers should look the same for each stamp from a plate regardless of position, but normally differ between plates (and examples of the same digit on a plate vary too). Definition also varies, as you say, depending on how well the number was cut, how well it transferred, depth of inking etc.
Regards
Maurice Buxton