GBPS Discussion Boards

Page 1 of 1

Author:  melchas [ Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Cresswell

Can anyone give me a clear definition and image of what a Cresswell is, please? I thought I knew but keep reading that what I thought was a Cresswell probably isn't. Enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Author:  admin [ Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Cresswell

Belated answer (sorry): as I understand it, it was a "machine" that was fitted with unusually small datestamps, either on their own, or more usually part of a duplex. With "machine" being a bit of a grand term for what was basically a hand-operated gadget that automatically inked the datestamp, along the same lines as the ones they use at post office counters nowadays.

Called Cresswell after either the inventor or the official who introduced it, can't recall which! I suspect the confusion may be that a lot of small datestamps get called "Cresswells", when really they only count if they were made by one of those particular gadgets.

Mostly used in London as I recall, with some provincial ones (Exeter being a well known one).

Googling around, this page seems to have a few representative examples:

and the LPHG books list a number of them too: ... blications

Page 1 of 1 UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group