E-gauge- Plating the Penny

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Queen Victoria.
Stainlessb

E-gauge- Plating the Penny

Post by Stainlessb »

I am at my wits end to get a scanned image that is close to the correct size

scan at the recommended 800 dpi 666 x 777 dpi the image is much to small, and thus far everything I try is a mighty failure!!

I am using a Epson V600 which does a very good job of capturing color, but I cannot seem to find the correct setting that worls with the E-gauge

any and all suggestions welcome.

I have all 5 volumes of The Plating the Peny and multiple gauges from the combined volumes, but I must confess my old eyes struggle trying to use in the real world. The E-gauge seems a great tool, if only I could find a way to get a correct size image into it
Winston W

Re: E-gauge- Plating the Penny

Post by Winston W »

You don't say what software you are using or in what format is the file you save when you have made a scan.
Assuming you are scanning a single stamp into a jpg format file, what does the file show as its Properties - Details - Image for the first half dozen entries for Image?
Stainlessb

Post by Stainlessb »

Sorry, you are right. I posted in a very frustrated mood. I am using VueScan software and I have tried jpg, tif, png. at the recommended 800 dpi scan rate the image is very undersized. i have tried scanning at higher resolution and importing into Adobe illustrator onto a 666 x 777 pixel format, then export back out as a jpg. better, but still not close enough. Changing the compression rate of the jpg doesn't seem to be of any help, and I am limited to whole numbers only for the amount of compression

I will continue to try different settings with VueScan and also in and out of Adobe, but the recommended settings are not yielding much success. And if it matters I am on a Mac
Winston W

Post by Winston W »

I'm not familiar with the Mac, but if you keep things as simple as possible and scan at 800dpi and directly save into jpg format, what does the saved file show as its Properties - Details - Image for the first half dozen entries for Image?
Stainlessb

Post by Stainlessb »

well, after some trial and error after my last post

if I crop the image to 0.783" x 0.914" (the VueScan software does not seem to have an option for metric) and scan at 851 dpi, jpeg size reduction at 1 and printed dpi at 4JPEG (whatever that means .... it did that all by itself) I get an image that is 666 x 777 and it fits quite nicely into the E-gauge though I have not yet taken measurements

My wife says it is time for supper, but I will report back on my results!

This feels like a break though!
Attachments
A- Penny star 800 BK test.jpg
Stainlessb

Post by Stainlessb »

correction- I found where to change from inches to millimeters! Now to see if i can master the gauge. and it looks to be a pretty good match for plate 94
Stainlessb

Post by Stainlessb »

I have had good success with 3 stamps but this one is completely alluding all efforts- Scan is at 800 dpi, 662 x 781 pixels (this is as close as I can managege to get to the desired 666 x777

my measures are 7+ 3- 8- 2+ and I have trie dvarying up down with no success. Search results in all cases is NONE

Does any see the error of my ways?
Attachments
A-QV EI.jpg
Winston W

Post by Winston W »

I suspect you have used the correct EI lettering (not EL as may appear at first glance), as that is in the scan file name. However have you transposed your c and d readings?

FWIW, I make it 6 2+ 2- 8- and come up with several A2 possibilities.

Any more queries I will leave to someone else.
Stainlessb

Post by Stainlessb »

EL was a typo

And I may have transposed measurements- I need to print a sheet with columns, rather than a scratch pad. I am leaning between 139 and 148. I wish there was a way to enlarge the image more than the single click. I tried taking a screen shot and enlarging, but it pixelates

Thanks much for you assitance!
Last edited by Stainlessb on Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimw

Post by jimw »

why do you not use, plating the penny on the GBPS. Go to philatelic tools click on it then plating the penny.
enter the letters click on, do not enter any numbers, scroll up the page when you get the plate number you think it is click on the number and the registration sheet comes up then you can visually compare your stamp with the master copy.
if it dose not match then enter the e gauge numbers it will give you the best match.
Stainlessb

Post by Stainlessb »

THanks jimw

This is pretty much what I am doing, and i am getting a slight bit faster as time goes on!