OHOH - or should it be HOHO!!! ?

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Edward VIII.
Robinr

OHOH - or should it be HOHO!!! ?

Post by Robinr »

Dear All,

I have found the letters OHOH running down the selvage on a booklet pane, and am mystified.

Can somebody help, please?

Robinr
Harvey

Transfer from previous board: original post 1737

Post by Harvey »

Robin, There is NO HOHO - or even OHOH - on the binding margin of your pane! What you can see are the "feet" or lower parts of the sheet or rotation number, which is applied in black to every sheet as it is printed!
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1738

Post by Robinr »

Harvey, as usual, you keep the discussion board, or at least this part of it alive! Thanks yet again.

But...

Please can you give me a reference for this, an illustration, or an article? Or do you mean that all sheets destined for use as booklets have a black(ish) number printed in the margin exactly as on the sheets that are printed with control numbers for sale over the counter?

If so, of course I'm familiar with those; in which case I cannot figure out what
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1740

Post by Robinr »

number it is. It's a left side pane (watermark upright). So if read along the side would appear to be OTOT... or more likely that upside down.

If anybody else has any booklet panes with this rather distinctive, or any other kind of printers quantity number in the selvage... please post a scan!

Thanks to one and all,

Robin
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 1741

Post by earsathome »

Hi Robin et al,

Re the numbers in selvedges, this is the only one I can lay my hands on.

Unfortunately of course, I have no idea what the numbers may be.

The pane is inverted watermark.

Cheers
Ron.
P.S.
I see that Harvey has come up trumps again so we at least (Robin and I) now know what it is all about.
Thanks.
images/stampics/ptnumber.jpg
Attachments
1741_1.jpg
Harvey

Transfer from previous board: original post 1742

Post by Harvey »

Robin/Ron, I have sent a message to your personal email addresses, including most of the info required. Ron's advert pane is from the outside - or right hand sheet - margin, as it has the wmk inverted. If the wmk was upright, then it would be from the LEFT hand sheet margin.