Variety on KEVIII Tangier overprint

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Edward VIII.
earsathome

Variety on KEVIII Tangier overprint

Post by earsathome »

Hello all,
This is by the way of a test message to see if I can upload images, but also a query.

Whilst preparing the database for our EVIII we decided to list any varieties we came across.

The attached image illustrates one, which I have called the EPIC flaw - "extra pearl in crown".

These are from the Tangier overprint on Control A36 Cylinder 15 dot and are R19/1 with 'epic' and 19/2 without.
Has anyone seen this in their own collection?

There is also a list of the other varieties we found, these on booklet panes, on the 'varieties' page of our EVIII collection.

We would be interested to hear if anyone can confirm any of these as
anything other than 'one off' varieties

The following URL will take you directly to the page.

Cheers
Ron and Eunice

http://www.earsathome.com/keviii/keviii/e8varie3.html
EPIC4.JPG
MIKE

Re: Variety on KEVIII Tangier overprint

Post by MIKE »

Ron - while having a look at your database info I have found that my halfpenny overprint with Morocco R1/2 has a deformed crossbar to the T -is it possible that the are several states to this flaw?
Mike
Lennox

Post by Lennox »

I have three copies of this cylinder block which all have the variety you describe.
MIKE

Post by MIKE »

Hi - I only have the top quarter half of a sheet, what cylinder does this variety belong too?
Mike
earsathome

Post by earsathome »

Hello Mike,
Sorry not to have replied before but we have been up in Townsvile for 12 days and were out of contact.
I would suggest that you have a word with the GBOS about that one (Great Britain Overprint Society) I don't have their url at the moment but a google will get them.
When we get settled down again I will have a look to see if I have something similar.
Regards.
Ron.
earsathome

Post by earsathome »

Hi Mike.

Re the I for T of Centimos on Morocco Agencies row 1 stamp 2, this first scan is from a complete sheet of Control A36 Cylinder 7 no dot. Don’t worry about the perfs on that one as I did not want to unfold the sheet so there is another part of the sheet behind it.
I do not know the cylinder of the second one but it seems to me to be very slightly different in thickness and a little more of the crossbar showing. These are the only examples I have.
What do you reckon?

Regards
Ron.
Attachments
ifort.jpg
ifort2.jpg
earsathome

Post by earsathome »

Mike,
The following is courtesy Robin R (a fiendishly passionate collector) and I am sure it will answer your query.

The GBOS Study Paper 3c has the following section, copied here in full, exactly as is:

"SPANISH CURRENCY - 5 Centimos on 1/2d SG 160

"The FIRST overprinting was on sheets with Control A/36 Cylinder 7 no stop. The stamp in row no 1 no 2 shows “CENTIMOS” as normal. In the second overprintingon sheets with cylinder 12 no stop the same stamp shows plate wear and the horizontal bar of the ’T’ in “CENTIMOS” is partly missing. The THIRD overprintingon sheets with A/36 cylinder 12 stop shows the same stamp with the horizontal barof the ’T’ completely missing. The coloured illustrations inside the back cover show the progressive wear of the ’T’ during these first three overprinting. A sheet with control A/36 cylinder 13 no stop also part of the THIRD overprintinghas not been seen in a complete sheet to determine whether the ’T’ has been repaired.

"The FOURTH Overprinting from sheets with A/36 cylinder 15 no stop show that the horizontal bar of the ’T’in Row 1/2 has been repaired. Similarly, for the FIFTH overprinting which is on sheets with A/36 cylinders 15 and 16 no stop.

"The SIXTH and SEVENTH overprinting were on sheets with control A/37 cylinder 25 and 26 no stop respectively. The last three overprinting all had untrimmed margins.”

Unquote

Regards.
Ron.