Have you seen a missing watermark?

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Edward VIII.
17them+

Have you seen a missing watermark?

Post by 17them+ »

I was looking at an old reference book - 'The postage stamps of King Edward VIII' by W. Ward, circa 1940s I believe, and he mentions 'Errors of watermarks'. Specifically without an 'E' and with a double 'E'! In all my years of collecting KE8 I have never seen such material nor any reference to such material apart from this one. Does anybody know if such material exists or is it just a product of fanciful (or hopeful) imagination?
earsathome

Re: Have you seen a missing watermark?

Post by earsathome »

Hello from Queensland.

I have been collecting KEVIII stamps for half a century or more and have not come across any mention of the errors of watermark.

I have not seen the publication you mention by W. Ward but have the handbook by F. Hugh Vallancey (1948) , two GBPS publications King Edward VIII by Lt.-Col. J.B.M. Stanton (1958) and King Edward VIII by A. J. Kirk.

Also various items from stamp magazines etc. but I have seen no mention of the watermark varieties.

Robin Restall did a lot of research on KEVIII and though I corresponded with him regularly over a period of ten years or more, often discussing KEVIII, he never mentioned any watermark variations.

If they did exist at all then I am sure they would be listed in Stanley Gibbons and I have the last three editions of 4 Kings and have seen no mention of the watermark varieties.

I will see if I can find that publication you mention on the web, out of curiosity, so thanks for bringing the subject up.

Maybe, meantime, some other members may have input
Regards.
Ron
17them+

Post by 17them+ »

Thanks Ron. I have most of Robin's E8R notes and books and like you I had never heard of Ward until I found a copy in Robin's E8R library. Happy to scan if you would like to read it. More of a short pamphlet than a book! Regards Barry
earsathome

Post by earsathome »

G'day Barry,
Sorry, I did not recognise you :)

Glad to hear that you have the notes and books from Robin and that they have found a good home.

Thanks for the offer of a scan and I would appreciate that for the sake of curiosity.

I did look on line and there is a copy available for something like 20 quid, but if, apart from the watermark note, there is nothing different it would not be worth it.

I miss the contact with Robin, not least from his sense of humour and general outlook on life.

Regards
Ron.
17them+

Post by 17them+ »

Hi Ron
Happy to send you a scan. Do you still have my email address? If not contact me via the Consultant email address and let me know your email address.
regards
Barry
earsathome

Post by earsathome »

Hello again Barry,
Look forward to that.
E-mail sent to confirm the address.
Regards.
Ron.