Transfer shift

Material relating to the philately of the reign of George VI.
Robinr

Transfer shift

Post by Robinr »

Dear All,

I have a perfect quarter pane (control and cylinder number), from Cylinder2 no stop of the 1937 Coronation stamp, autographed by the designer, Eric Dulac (There were several quarter panes and cylinder blocks signed by Dulac). I have had this item nicely mounted and tucked away until such time as I could write it up afresh and incorporate it into the write-ups. This morning I took it out for detailed examination, the first serious look in 30 years!

It is cleanly inked, and shows none of the poor makeready usual with this cylinder. I started to study it with a x10 illuminating glass… and realized it has a transfer shift. Poor as Cylinder 2 material usually is, it does not have a transfer shift.

The inference is that this was a very early pull from the first cylinder but when the flaw was realized a replacement cylinder, also given the number 2, was hastily produced to cover the mistake.

I am now hoping to find somebody with anything from Cylinder 2 who can support the transfer shift evidence or contribute to figuring out the story…

Best wishes!

Robin (R)