KEVIII booklet print figures

Anything relating to British stamp books and booklets.
earsathome

KEVIII booklet print figures

Post by earsathome »

Hello all,

Does anyone know of a source for finding the print figures for the KE8 booklets?

I have checked our reference books, Kirk, Vallancey, Four Kings and the British
Stamp Booklets series and have googled, but can find no information on the numbers
actually printed/issued, either for each value booklet or (preferably) each edition number.

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards.
Ron.
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 22729

Post by Robinr »

Dear Ron,

No sooner had I read your message and thought, that's a darn good question - I'd like to know the answer to that, when the penny dropped!

Short answer is, yes, it is comparatively easy to figure out the exact number of every edition of all the booklets, and in doing so, see the comparative scarcity of the panes that carry advertising. And then see how illogical the prices are for panes on eBay.

The long answer is, unfortunately all my KE8 material is back in England and I have nothing to prod my mind further, and see where the source is. The key however is to recognize that the booklets carried advertising and were sold to the advertisers for a fixed number of booklets per issue. The elusive figure of the print run for an edition is what I can't remember right now.

But if an ad appeared in only one edition, and another appeared in say five editions, it follows that a pane carrying one will be five times as hard to find, to the other is five times as easy to find.

I think either all the data you need is in Jean's supplement to the GBJ, or a combination of that and SG4K.

Sorry not to be more helpful. If you get no further response, I'll let you know once we're back in Blighty next year.

Good luck, Robin (R)