To Pay and Postage Due

General postal history discussions on any topics we don't have a specific category for.
Robinr

To Pay and Postage Due

Post by Robinr »

Dear Maurice,

I can't quite figure out what happened in what sequence on this cover and any insight will be welcome!

Here's what I think happened...

1) The 1d Scarlet was cancelled with a CDS 14 DE 36, from Wallasey, Cheshire, and was stamped 1d TO PAY 466J and then went off to London for delivery.

2) At Knelting 22 the surcharge of a penny was refused and the postman wrote in pencil across the lower corner, "Refused" and initialed it. (This is faint, and looks as if it were erased by some philatelic vandal).

3) Back at the local sorting office in LONDON, a POSTAGE DUE 1d label was attached, and stamped on top with a cachet, CHARGE NOT ACCEPTED/FRESH LABEL REQUIRED. This cachet has a large St Andrew's cross in it and the whole is in purple ink.

What happened next is where I'm wondering... a new CDS from the London sorting office is stamped on the Postage Due label, there is a pencilled initial beside this, and in the right margin in blue pencil is "P S PAID".

On the reverse is a CDS that reads LONDON E C/G 14 DE 36/14 which is almost certainly the same CDS stamped onto the Postage Due label.

Apart from anything else it all seemed to have happened on the 14th December!

Cheers,

Robin
maneanut

Transfer from previous board: original post 2069

Post by maneanut »

Robin
I would suggest the following sequence.
At the delivery office the 1d postage due was affixed and cancelled. The postman having paid the 1d from his float.
At Kniting 22 the letter was refused.
Back at the delivery office the postman was refunded his penny and the cachet "Charge not collected fresh label required" applied.
Hope this is helpful
Regards
Martin