FPO

General postal history discussions on any topics we don't have a specific category for.
Robinr

FPO

Post by Robinr »

Dear Folks,

The initials FPO stand for… Field Post Office?

I have been searching online for any information on FPO-cancelled covers for KE8 and KGVI and am fast becoming bewildered. The great amount of references for APO and FPO seem to refer to mail facilities for US armed forces abroad… now, in this day and age. And FPO apparently stands for Fleet Post Office.

There is a great deal of material about post offices in Palestine up to around 1920, but the kind of information that seems relevant to a philatelist on postal matters during the British Mandate seems not to exist.

I am looking for any information about the use of GB (Not overprinted) stamps with FPO cancellations. I understand that this relates only to what was then called Palestine. Each FPO carried a number, eg., FPO 16. It would be very interesting to know where that particular FPO was.

The geographic area in the era from WWI through WWII is filled with historical, political and romantic interest and much of it should be traceable via online links. It would be invaluable in producing interesting write-ups.

Any helpful directions would be very well received, thank you.

Robin R
Seahorse

Transfer from previous board: original post 31222

Post by Seahorse »

FPO 16 was used in Jerusalem from 1-10-1936 until 7-1-37 according to Proud (History of British Army Postal Services)

It was preceded by a long argument with the Palestinians (sounds familiar?) over the use of British Postage stamps

Off on holiday tomorrow until Aug 3, but am happy to pursue this further on my return should you so wish - although I am no expert in this "field"
Harvey

Transfer from previous board: original post 31224

Post by Harvey »

Robin, Check out the "Forces Postal History Society" web-site. You may find more info there!.

Harvey
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 31226

Post by Robinr »

Dear Folks,

Many thanks indeed, both for the above, and privately (direct) responses. Various tips and links led me to the Israeli Philatelic Society where the help has been incredible.

To anybody who has FPO and other military covers of this kind (in particular, this period and location), I must say - be prepared to be sucked in! This is an area of postal history redolent with drama and political history that really fascinates. It makes my study of plates and states of KE8 seem really dull with a big D.

Cheers,

Robin