Samples by Air

Rates in general and questions on particular covers.
Harvey

Samples by Air

Post by Harvey »

Can anyone help, please?
I know that in 1935 Samples could be sent by both Inland and Overseas Post at preferential rates of postage. However, what I have not been able to discover is whether - when sent by Air to European destinations - Sample packets were treated as letters or at a special Sample rate. Any help greatly appreciated.
Harvey
mozzerb
Site Admin

Transfer from previous board: original post 1568

Post by mozzerb »

According to Michael Furfie's book "British Civilian Postage Rates of the 20th Century", after the introduction in 1930 of combined airmail letter rates (i.e. including both air fee and ordinary postage) there were no special air rates to Europe after other than for postcards from 1932. So samples to Europe by air would therefore have paid the standard letter rates.
Regards
Maurice Buxton
Harvey

Transfer from previous board: original post 1569

Post by Harvey »

Furfie specifically states that the air mail rates applied to all classes of mail, then goes on to say: "..including postcards and printed papers." He then states that a reduced postcard rate was introduced in 1932, but makes no further mention of printed papers! Why mention them in the first place, unless he is inferring that a change was made to the charging scheme. And if that was the case, then the rate for samples must also have changed since they were usually "lumped in" with printed papers! I think more research is needed here to find the actual rates in force.
mozzerb
Site Admin

Transfer from previous board: original post 1570

Post by mozzerb »

Presumably he mentioned them as one of the common types of non-letter mail. Or maybe because in section 4.5 on the next page, describing the 1960s airmail newspapers service to Europe, he says "Since the introduction of combined rates in 1930 there had been no special air rates for other classes of mail such as printed papers. If air service was required they had to be paid at letter rates."

It seems pretty straightforward: if there isn't a separate table giving sample rates he means there weren't separate sample rates. Also, samples weren't "lumped in" with printed papers -- they were a completely separate type of mail that sometimes went at the same rate as printed papers.

Presumably this question was sparked by some particular cover? In which case, a scan would make it clearer what we're actually talking about.
Regards
Maurice Buxton
Harvey

Transfer from previous board: original post 1571

Post by Harvey »

OOOPS! Missed Section 4.5! Thanks for pointing it out! The cover in question is still in the post (as they say!) However, it was sent UK to SWEDEN in late 1935 bearing 9x1d stamps; 8x1½d stamps, all of these two values being 1935 Silver Jubilee. There was also a block cypher 4d on the cover, for a combined total of 2/1d. Item bore AIRMAIL and EXPRESS labels at top left and the word SAMPLES was inscribed at bottom left. A previously suggested rate was for a 6 oz letter, made up by EXPRESS rate of 6d, plus Europe by air 1st oz 4d, plus 5oz @ 3d = 1/3d. Total 2/1d. I'll try and look further in future, instead of going off at half-cock! Thanks for your help.
mozzerb
Site Admin

Transfer from previous board: original post 1572

Post by mozzerb »

That rate looks correct to me as far as I can tell from the book. There don't seem to have been many airmail sample rates to anywhere.
Regards
Maurice Buxton