6d Machin wrapper rate?

Rates in general and questions on particular covers.
ldhaber

6d Machin wrapper rate?

Post by ldhaber »

Hi,

I have a wrapper from the UK, HM Stationery Office, to the US franked with a 6d Machin. There is no postmark date legible.

I could use help wrt the rate used. I am using Johnson & Peet to see rates that fit the 6d and there is a foreign newspaper rate but that is to Group A. There are some printed papers and samples rates. Not sure if PP could be sent in a wrapper. And Samples? What would those be? In a wrapper?

I am probably missing something obvious and would appreciate some insight.

Thanks,

Larry

(FYI I mostly use the rate tables on this site which are hugely super and one of the best resources on the internet, but I like to use J&P's cross references for stamps to rates)

mozzerb
Site Admin

Re: 6d Machin wrapper rate?

Post by mozzerb »

This looks like surface mail (no airmail label), and as it's from HMSO it's almost certainly printed papers rate for some Government publication or other. Printed papers had to be sent open to inspection so wrappers definitely qualified.

Not sure which printed papers rate it was -- if it was a newspaper, which wrappers typically were for, then it would have qualified for reduced rate. On the other hand, wrappers of reduced rate items were supposed to be marked to say they were reduced rate, and this one isn't. So maybe normal rate for some printed brochure or whatever?

Normal rate second step (2-4oz) was 6d 1966-71, reduced rate third step (4-8oz) was 6d 1968-71, so unfortunately that doesn't pin it down. (Yes, going by the rates page here.)

Another nice item, of course!
Regards
Maurice Buxton
ldhaber

Re: 6d Machin wrapper rate?

Post by ldhaber »

many thanks. Your help is greatly appreciated.

My guess is that this was for the lighter weight given the size of the wrapper, but given the lack of a date on the item, it remains a guess.
ATB,

Larry