Free Frank - Why Two Signatures?

Covers and postal matters before 1840.
Lancastrian

Free Frank - Why Two Signatures?

Post by Lancastrian »

Can anyone explain why this free frank of 1831 has two signatures? It is an early use of an envelope, still with its original contents, a personal letter sent by Admiral Sir Thomas Hardy from the Admiralty in London to his sister in Dorset. He is best known as captain of HMS Victory at Trafalgar, but by this date was First Sea Lord. He addressed the envelope and the upper signature is his. The lower signature is that of George Dundas, Comptroller of the Navy. I recall seeing another similar letter from the same correspondence also with two signatures, but from memory think that was a folded letter sheet. I look forward to the explanation!
Attachments
21EC464A-2E28-41ED-B104-79ECBF3E364D.jpeg
Winston W

Re: Free Frank - Why Two Signatures?

Post by Winston W »

A mystery to me.

Both were Sea Lords at the time and the Privilege to their Class extended to the sending and receiving all letters, without limit as to either number or weight.

If one of the Privilege requirements had not been met (e.g. Hardy had suddenly been called away from London) and so was no longer there, and so was signed by someone who was in London (e.g. Dundas), that still would not have met the overall Privilege reqirements.

An exceptional item with those signatures and the very early envelope use plus the contents.
Lancastrian

Re: Free Frank - Why Two Signatures?

Post by Lancastrian »

Thank you for your reply Winston