Postage due markings query

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
earsathome

Postage due markings query

Post by earsathome »

Hello All,

Attached scan shows two postage due markings and I would like confirmation that the letters I. S. stand for Inland Section
and the letter D and H are the initials of the relevant hand-stamp used.

I have found it very difficult to garner information on these marks, despite web searches and checking our reasonably good selection of catalogues. Though they are illustrated in three catalogues that we have, none of them explain what the initials stand for.

Does anyone know of a good site dealing with postage due markings?

Regards.
Ron.
Attachments
duesis.jpg
jimusedcontrols

Re: Postage due markings query

Post by jimusedcontrols »

Ron, great source is the Postage Due Mail Study Group. There was a series of 6 articles on these stamps 2002-2004 in great detail especially about the jetters. Anyway IS is for Inland Section and FB Foreign Branch. The extra index letter is presumed to differentiate various handstamps of the same denomination. That way a check could be made on who or which group had actually taxed any given item.
Regards
James
earsathome

Post by earsathome »

Thanks very much for that James.

Glad to know that I had it right.

I hadn't realised there was a Postage Due Study Group (I suppose I should have known, there seems to be a study group for almost everything! :D )

I am surprised my Google searches did not come up with that group.

Regards.
Ron.
earsathome

Post by earsathome »

Thanks James,

I checked out the site as soon as you mentioned it and it must have slipped through
my search net.

Regards
Ron