Postal Routing mystery

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
Brunswickstar

Postal Routing mystery

Post by Brunswickstar »

Hi everyone
I'm interested in, and collect all things, postally connected to Chingford( East London/Essex).
This cover Shows "TP Chingford" and assume it originated there. Chingford was a receiving office covered by Woodford. ( The 53 cancellation on the lower stamp confirms this. )
I assume a second one was added to cover the fine of additional 1 penny as no stamp on cover originally. It was sent to Grays inn Square, which is in Holborn in London.
So, my question is, how did this cover end up being stamped in Catford ( cancellation 65) on the cover? South of the river and nowhere near the route taken?
Any help appreciated, and correcting any of my findings above.
Also the date mark on the rear has the letter D if that helps.
Thanks
Mark
Attachments
tp2.jpg
tp.jpg
Winston W

Re: Postal Routing mystery

Post by Winston W »

Mark,

If you go to this section, https://www.gbps.org.uk/information/dow ... ations.php, you will find a file on the District Post Cancellations 1840- 1857. That leads me to think both your London District numerals were applied at the Chief Office. The ones attributed to Woodford and Catford are later than 1847 and have a different appearance.

I suggest your envelope was prepaid 2d in stamps at the ½-1 ounce weight, put into the post at Chingford and went to the Chief Office for sorting. Then a sorter at the Chief Office obliterated just one stamp, but the mistake was spotted by another sorter who obliterated the second stamp before it went out for delivery.
Brunswickstar

Post by Brunswickstar »

Excellent thanks.
Was always a conundrum for me but your answer makes complete sense.
M
jcopeland

Post by jcopeland »

Could the extra 1d, making the postage 2d, be a late fee? As far as I can judge from the picture the envelope is a small one.
Winston W

Post by Winston W »

jcopeland wrote:Could the extra 1d, making the postage 2d, be a late fee?
Always something to consider. But I read the London shield time as 12 noon, so I wouldn't expect the extra 1d to be a late fee.
jcopeland

Post by jcopeland »

Whites 1848 Essex Directory does say for Chingford "Letters received and despatched twice a-day" so the fee might relate to a letter posted in the morning.
Winston W

Post by Winston W »

jcopeland wrote: the fee might relate to a letter posted in the morning.
I have always read late fees in the context of being for the last collection of the day.
But from what I've read of your postings, you have read lots of contemporary material, so do please correct my reading if I am wrong!
jcopeland

Post by jcopeland »

Certainly for Central London a late fee seems to relate to letters posted after the normal closing time in the evening but elsewhere where there were departures of the mails during the daytime a late fee might be payable if a letter was posted shortly before the relevant mail departed.