Help with Taunton Parcel Post Label used December 1900 please

Pre-stamped stationery of any reign, either issued by the Post Office or stamped to order.
leamphil

Help with Taunton Parcel Post Label used December 1900 please

Post by leamphil »

I'm trying to categorize my UK Parcel Post Label (PPL) types using The Parcel Post of the British Isles by James Mackay [pub 1982] and I'm having difficulty with one PPL from December 1900.
Taunton Parcel Post Label used December 1900
Taunton Parcel Post Label used December 1900
My precis of Mackay's characterisation from 1900 are:

Type N issued 1900, Mainly London, Registration and Express Fees, For Postage Stamps moved back up, LIST. (one dot), Number (no dot), Postge. (one dot)

Type O issued 1900, LIST (no dot), Number. (one dot), Postge (no dot)

Type P issued 1901, LIST. (one dot), Number (no dot), Postge (no dot)

Type Q issued 1901, LIST (no dot), Number. (one dot), Postge. (one dot)

Type R issued 1901, LIST. (one dot), Number (no dot), Postge. (one dot)

The PPL above, used in December 1900, has a dot after LIST, no dot after Number, and a dot after Postge - which I reckon makes it either Type N or Type R. Type N is "mainly" London while Type R he dates as issued in 1901.

Can anyone help ? Is there another list of types of Parcel Post Label I can consult or an updated version of Mackay's book ?
jcopeland

Re: Help with Taunton Parcel Post Label used December 1900 please

Post by jcopeland »

The most recent book which includes coverage of parcel post labels in some depth is "The Parcel Post of the United Kingdom including Crown Dependencies" by Dr W.M.Melrose and N.J.P.Wraith. Volume 1 has been published which deals with the labels while Volume 2 will deal with ancillary labels. Volume 1 can be obtained from the Scottish Postal History Society http://www.sphs.org.uk/index_files/scottishpost.html.