Downey Head ~ Day of Issue Postmarks

The first George V issues of 1911-12.
skilo54

Post by skilo54 »

Hi folks, I hope you are all well and the collections are looking as wonderful as ever!

The attached scan is a recent addition to my collection of ½d. Downey Heads, and I am very happy to have been able to include it.

However this means that a void has become more apparent than ever!

I am primarily interested in the 1d. Downey Head and would love to either see some scans of D.O.I. 1d. Downeys, or possibly purchase one from a member/recommended vendor if there happens to be one available. I wouldn't be able to afford a cover at this time, but I am hopeful for an 'on-piece' or 'socked on the nose' example.

I appreciate your time and am hopeful of any and all feedback from other members.

Have a good one, and thanks for having a look!

Skilo54
Attachments
1938_1.jpg
asmodeus

Transfer from previous board: original post 1951

Post by asmodeus »

1 d First Day of Issue.....
Attachments
1951_1.jpg
asmodeus

Transfer from previous board: original post 1952

Post by asmodeus »

And another one....
Attachments
1952_1.jpg
asmodeus

Transfer from previous board: original post 1953

Post by asmodeus »

½ D First Day of Issue
Attachments
1953_1.jpg
skilo54

Transfer from previous board: original post 1958

Post by skilo54 »

Thank-you for adding your scans of those fantastic Postcards to this thread Asmodeus! They certainly are wonderful!

I must comment on how lucky you are to have 2 copies of each value, WOW!

The first 1d. PC would be a commercial use, but I would like to know about the other three? Would they be considered philatelic due to the fact the message area is left blank? Would these have been prepared by a collector on the DOI knowing their future importance?

Regardless they are absolutely fantastic and Thank-you for sharing them on this thread!

Have a Good One,

Skilo54
asmodeus

Transfer from previous board: original post 1961

Post by asmodeus »

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17 and t=20630

You will see the fronts here ;-) I´ve posted them a long time ago in your thread on stampboards....
skilo54

Transfer from previous board: original post 1962

Post by skilo54 »

Yes, I remember the day you first posted those and I am still impressed with them today! They are truly fantastic! Thanks again,

Skilo54
jimusedcontrols

Post by jimusedcontrols »

here is one of the postcards posted by my uncle to my grandfather at the time
regards
James
Attachments
1966_1.jpg
LeeRoy

Re: Downey Head ~ Day of Issue Postmarks

Post by LeeRoy »

Hi Skilo,

I have several items and will try and get them uploaded over the next day or two.

I am in the process of taking ownership of a mass of Oswald Marsh 1/2d's on corners piece's (A box with 10k plus of stamps), and also a unreal selection of 1d bundles that has been left untouched and wrapped in cotton for nearly 100 years. Again Oswald Marsh stock. I have opened one bundle, and OMG is all I can say, the postmarks CDS's within are to pat someone on the back for wrapping them up in the first place. There is another 50 plus bundles of 100 stamps, that I am going to buy also.

I have gone through my first small selection that I found from a seller on ebay, and yes they have been flicked and fiddled with, but the obvious has left the building. But for the learned eye, there is some nice little plate flaws, and ink markings on them, what can only be described as 'Dotts & Dashes' all over the place.

I will be in touch.

Kind Regards,
Lee