Double impression

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Edward VIII.
earsathome

Double impression

Post by earsathome »

Image Image

Hi all,

An album I bought many years ago, when I first became interested in KEVIII included a single stamp as illustrated.

This single stamp came with the original collection with the notation :-

"One of the few known examples of a double impression".

To my mind, the description is exaggerated as the doubling is very slight, mainly noticable in the top left frame, on the ½d value, on the crown, a slight doubling of 'Postage' and by the shadow effect behind the head.

My definition of a 'double impression' is shown by this example of the 1936 1s stamp,
illustrated in S.G. G.B. Vol.2.

I would be interested in any comments from members, particularly if anyone has an example of a 'double impression' as listed by S.G. as my catalogue lists it but does not give an illustration.

Cheers

Ron.
Harvey

Transfer from previous board: original post 1232

Post by Harvey »

Ron,
The vertical perforations on this stamp appear to have been cut, as they are square ended, whereas the perfs at top and bottom of the stamp are uneven, so it is possible that this was a coil stamp, printed from a special cylinder. The apparent double impression is very noticable and could, repeat COULD, be the result of the multipositive (or, indeed, the cylinder itself) moving during the cylinder making process! This is known as a "shifted transfer". Such errors are known to have occurred on some of the early King George VI threehalfpenny cylinders. (See GBJ Vol 1, p.113)
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1238

Post by Robinr »

Hi Harvey,

Your comment about the character of the perforations indicating a possible coil source made me think also about stamps from booklet panes. I opened a bag of about 1,500 KE8 stamps on pieces yesterday - bought about 35 years ago! - and started looking at them with fresh eyes. I think I saw several stamps that might have been from booklets, showing a particular odd kind of lower edge. But I also looked at vertical strips of three...

Very helpful and thought-provoking comment. Thank you! Robin
earsathome

Transfer from previous board: original post 1242

Post by earsathome »

Hi Harvey,

Thanks for that information - I see what you mean about the perforations.

Unfortunately, I don't have a SG Part 1 - I start at Part 2.

I haven't heard of a "shifted transfer" and can find no mention of it in the SG part 2, A.J. Kirk or Leslie Wilkinson.

That's one of things that makes this hobby so interesting - we've been collecting for over 40 years and are still learning as we go along.

Thanks for the input.

Regards.
Ron.
Harvey

Transfer from previous board: original post 1244

Post by Harvey »

Ron,
Probably - if you were to ask the librarian nicely - he would be able to photocopy and email you a copy of the reference I quoted, ie GBJournal Vol 1, page 113.
nogwig

Transfer from previous board: original post 1246

Post by nogwig »

For your information. This article on a KEVIII double impression came from a Stamp Collecting weekly of 1954.
Harvey

Transfer from previous board: original post 1249

Post by Harvey »

Hmmmmm! The explanation given in the final sentence here (attributed to "Dr Gordon Ward") appears identical to mine, above.
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1250

Post by Robinr »

Hmmm, am I seeing shadows, or are there two kinds of "Double impression"? From what I've seen there appears to be:

a) two images on the plate/cylinder, from a flaw when the interneg was put together. This would give a constant flaw and something as dramatic as the one illustrated in the article ought to be known by more than one example.

b) A false start, or a bounce in the actual printing. This ought to show a similar, if not identical flaw across or along a row of stamps. As such it would make a spectacular error piece, or pieces (as it would be bound to have been divided into a few to maximize sale value). And possibly would have been shown or auctioned by now.

It all goes to show that there's a lot more to this king than booklets!

Robin
Robinr

Transfer from previous board: original post 1253

Post by Robinr »

Dear All,

I just found an article from 1958 about this in KGVI stamps, and will post full details there...

Robin R.