Help sought on Southampton H.M. Ships postmark

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
earsathome

Help sought on Southampton H.M. Ships postmark

Post by earsathome »

Hello all,

Can anyone help with a postmark query?

This cover bears the double ring Southampton H.M. Ships dated 1st July 1938 cancellations.
This is a bit difficult to see because of the colour of the Coronation stamps.

We have the third edition of “Collect British Postmarks – Dr JT Whitney” and the latest
Stanley Gibbons “Collect British Postmarks” 9th Edition.

Despite combing through these catalogues under the ‘Maritime Marks’, ‘Military Marks’
and even Double Circle Circular Handstamps we cannot locate it. There is a Received from H.M. Ships, but not with the town name in it. The two similar ones with London or Edinburgh in it are dated 1939, none for 1938.

A Google search did not help and even checking all the images we could not locate an example.

Any help with a source of information on this mark would be very much appreciated.

Regards to all
Ron and Eunice.
Attachments
sotoncoro.jpg
jimusedcontrols

Re: Help sought on Southampton H.M. Ships postmark

Post by jimusedcontrols »

Ron,
Alcock & Holland record that this Fig. 2062 (Fig. 996 in A Short History) was in use between the wars at various ports including Southampton.
Regards
James
earsathome

Post by earsathome »

James,
Many thanks for another swift response.

Unfortunately we don't have A. and H. but now we know what we are looking for we may be able to find it.

Appreciate the help

Regards

Ron.
satman59

Post by satman59 »

Ron
You can also see this mark in Robertson Ship letters and the follow up Robertson Revisited by Tabeart. This is indexed as N1 in use 1937-38. Double circle with thick arcs.
earsathome

Post by earsathome »

Hello Satman,

Thanks for that information.
Unfortunately, we only have a couple of updates of Robertson as our maritime markings are a bit limited. Could not afford Robertson at the time we were writing things up.
All is grist to our mill though, thanks.
Regards
Ron
Sark

Post by Sark »

Ron Hi

Maybe a little late but my copy of Stanley Gibbons “Collect British Postmarks” 9th Edition
does list the So'ton mark for 1938 page 288 14/109A.

I haven't seen it for some time but I know I have an example in my collection. I can post a scan when it comes to the surface again if this would be of help.

Sark