Report on the history of SG catalogues from the beginning by Hugh Jefferies

General postal history discussions on any topics we don't have a specific category for.
Wilding Mad

Report on the history of SG catalogues from the beginning by Hugh Jefferies

Post by Wilding Mad »

If you have the odd hour to spare you may wish to have a look at the development of stamp catalogues from their humble beginnings to the current day told by Hugh Jefferies MBE catalogue editor of Stanley Gibbons PLC, it can be viewed on YouTube by using the following link.

https://youtu.be/j_IIH59FofM

This should give you an insight into one of the elements relating to the hobby of stamp collecting (philately). WM
HeerbruggM8

Re: Report on the history of SG catalogues from the beginning by Hugh Jefferies

Post by HeerbruggM8 »

Thanks for the heads up on this... it was an enjoyable watch - I note that there are a number of other videos of interest on the Stanley Gibbons You Tube channel too.
Kind Regards,
H
Wilding Mad

Post by Wilding Mad »

Yes indeed H,
And one of the more intriguing developments of recent times has been the purchase of the worlds most rarest stamp, that being the British Guiana 1¢ magenta of 1856 by Stanley Gibbons of The Strand London where it will eventually be displayed.

This is what Victoria lajer (the managing director) had to say on the matter when interviewed on the 10th of June 2021, 2 days after the auction.
https://youtu.be/EPZoGqZTkGU

My feeling on the subject is that it is more of a PR ploy on behalf of Phoenix Asset Management (PAM) who are the majority shareholders in the company of Stanley Gibbons PLC regarding this surprise purchase, and it is they that have financed the affair, and will no doubt expect a substantial return on their investment in the not too distant future.

A few eyebrows have been raised over this venture concerning what the final outcome will be, for both the rarest stamp in the world and the companies involved.
This is what #philately had to say on the situation.
https://youtu.be/ozg8KEr4vBg

I suppose that only time will tell as to what the eventual outcome will be, what's your perception ? WM
HeerbruggM8

Post by HeerbruggM8 »

Some more interesting viewing WM thank you - I had come across the Exploring Stamps You tube channel previously and it was worth a watch.
I am somewhat new to the world of philately, and as such my view on these recent events is largely uninformed and irrelevant to those of more significant experience.
Having said that part of my enjoyment of philately is owning a tiny piece of artwork, and the other part is getting a kick out of spotting and buying a stamp with a flaw/or aspect which others have not spotted which makes it rare, or getting something for a good price.
I do not (and probably will not) buy stamps solely as an investment and this would appear to be SG purchasing a sizeable asset with half an eye on how it can be sliced up as some form of investment, digital or otherwise, but in my humble opinion I do not believe this would quench the thirst of a philatelist. Philatelists appear to get pleasure out of buying, learning, organising and assembling their own collection and I do not see digital ownership having that appeal. I also don't think the 1c magenta has much aesthetic appeal either! (sorry!)
Saying all the above it is a great thing for it to come to London and I hope SG can do something with it that benefits philatelists, rather than investors, only time will tell!
Wilding Mad

Post by Wilding Mad »

For a relevant newcomer from what you have just said H, you appear to have all the rudiments appertaining to a sensible philatelist, as being always on the lookout for the unusual and in search for bargains and things that other collectors may have missed. If you stick to that philosophy I don't think you will go far wrong, which is also similar to my sentiments based on the subject of stamp collecting.
I've always found collectors to be optimistic whereby with catalogue editors they tend to be forever pessimistic, I suppose that's part of lifes tapestry.

After watching the video relating to the three treasures I think Sotheby's need to learn a few lessons in both display and security, as it would seem that when the rarest stamp in the world needs displaying both sides of the stamp needs to be seen clearly, and rather than exhibit it as they did, the most advantageous position would have been to have placed it at right angles in the cabinet instead.
The security aspect seemed lacking also, as staff were able to access the exhibit worth millions of pounds and hand it to a complete stranger from off the street to view it close up, and all due to its original awkward position in the first place !
Just my opinion over the situation. WM
Wilding Mad

Post by Wilding Mad »

If videos on philately are your thing H, then try this site sponsored by the American philatelic Society
https://stamps.org/news/v/videos/p/1
Cheers ! WM
HeerbruggM8

Post by HeerbruggM8 »

Thank you WM - always good to have more resources. I have recently been distracted with trying to learn how to plate Penny Blacks (its a slippery slope!) but having another source of information is always useful.
Kind regards,
H
Wilding Mad

Post by Wilding Mad »

LATEST NEWS .
<><><><><><><>

It would appear that Stanley Gibbons are going private again after a terrible time on the stock market as per this report by "This is money"

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mar ... ondon.html
Wilding Mad

Post by Wilding Mad »

Result of the Stanley Gibbons EGM 30⁸/22.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Following the result of the EGM of Stanley Gibbons on Tuesday the 30th August, the last day of dealings in the Company's Ordinary Shares on AIM will be Tuesday 6 September 2022 and the Cancellation will become effective at 7.00 a.m. on Wednesday 7 September 2022, subject to a dealing notice, as defined in the AIM Rules for Companies, being issued.

Still interested in a fractional share of the BG 1c Magenta?
HeerbruggM8

Post by HeerbruggM8 »

The SG financial results certainly don't make for pleasant reading... I hope they survive and prevail in these challenging times!
H
Wilding Mad

Post by Wilding Mad »

Here is the history relating to Stanley Gibbons as per Wikipedia giving various details of the company since its formation in 1856.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Gibbons

Stanley Gibbons has changed hands many times and is synonymous with stamp collecting, but what of its future ?

I have always found that hobbies and investing are poor bed fellows, therefore it will be interesting to see what develops for this 166 year old company now it is in the hands of a new owner such as Phoenix Asset Management.

The main source of income for Stanley Gibbons is >

Retail ........... Stamps and coins.
Auctions....... Collectables.
Publishing.... Magazines, catalogues and albums.

The company currently has 66 employees.
https://www.stanleygibbonsplc.com/
Winston W

Post by Winston W »

In less than 24 hours the BESG is hosting a Zoom presentation "Everything you wanted to know about Stamp Catalogues… but were afraid to ask" with Hugh Jefferies and Steven Zirinsky

The date/time is for Thursday September 8th - 6 PM ET - so 11 p.m. BST for members in the UK

You can register via https://bestudygroup.org/events/tbd-3/