Red Maltese Cross - Genuine??

The output of Perkins, Bacon from 1840 to 1880.
asmodeus

Post by asmodeus »

Do you think this red Maltese Cross is genuine?
howard H

Transfer from previous board: original post 2020

Post by howard H »

Possibly,
Do you have a higher resolution scan of the front and reverse?
Best wishes,
Howard
agenteinrebus

Transfer from previous board: original post 2021

Post by agenteinrebus »

Without having a close look at the stamp I cannot identify the plate but if it is later than Plate 11 then I would have my doubts as to the genuineness of the cancellation.
railwaynut

Transfer from previous board: original post 2027

Post by railwaynut »

Why do you think it might not be a genuine maltese cross ?

I have clicked on the stamp image and enlarged it on my computer so that it fills the screen. It is clearly the product of a handstamp.

It is a very nice neat clean four margin stamp with a good strike of a red maltese cross cancellation.

Red ink was replaced by black ink in 1840 for cancelling stamps during the penny black period especially at major offices. Smaller offices would have continued using red ink until the stock was finished so red cancels may have continued for a considerable time into the penny red period.

At major offices red ink pads were in use alongside black ink pads to produce datestamps coloured to show either morning and evening posts. In a busy office accidental use of a red ink pad for cancelling a stamp was probably the reason for some of these red crosses on penny red stamps.

Sometimes a clerk realising his error added black maltese cross cancels on top of the erronious red cancels. (example attached)

This type of wrror still continued after 1845 and I have a nice block of six perforated penny reds which were first cancelled in red and then overstruck in black with the same numeral handstamp.
asmodeus

Transfer from previous board: original post 2042

Post by asmodeus »

Image Image

A better Scan of the stamp.....

Thanks for the help!
asmodeus

Transfer from previous board: original post 2043

Post by asmodeus »

I think it´s a faked cancel....
pennyblack1

Post by pennyblack1 »

Looks wrong to me - colour, depth of ink - looks very flat - and I am fairly certain it is plate 58 which would clinch it as fake - pic attached. Certainly I would return it unless I could obtain a BPA or RPS cert on it.

Best regards,

Robin
Attachments
2057_1.jpg