Dates that KGVI Definitives ceased to be legally used?

Material relating to the philately of the reign of George VI.
Richudson

Dates that KGVI Definitives ceased to be legally used?

Post by Richudson »

I have a Postcard that was posted in Wincanton, Somerset on 17th June 1954 with 2 x 1d KGVI Ultramarine stamps affixed and cancelled by Krag machine cancel (MS1), what was the cut off date for the usage of these KGVI Definitives, considering the King died on 05/02/52?
Attachments
Late use on Wincanton PC 17-02-54 EDIT 01.jpg
jimusedcontrols

Re: Dates that KGVI Definitives ceased to be legally used?

Post by jimusedcontrols »

All GV, EVIII, GVI and EII pre-decimal stamps were valid until decimalisation cooling off 29. Feb 1972.
cheers
James
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, 29 February 1972 was the last date, and naturally a number of philatelists sent covers with old issues on the day. :)

These stamps look to have trimmed perfs on the right edge, so probably come from booklets? Those (and the stamps from them) tended to hang around for a while in wallets, handbags etc before they got used up.

(It took a while for the Wildings to fully replace the KGVI stamps as well -- day of issue of the 1d sheet Wildings was 31 August 1953, the 9d/10d/11d weren't issued until February 1954, and the Castle high values not until late 1955.)
Richudson

Post by Richudson »

jimusedcontrols and admin,
Thank you for your responses, I will use this information in my write-up for this item in my Wincanton Postal History collection
Thanks again,
Richard.