British Post Office Constantinople

Material relating to the philately of the reign of George V.
crisgrim

British Post Office Constantinople

Post by crisgrim »

Having recently writtern up 16 sheets on early 1919 Registered mail from Constantinople for a competition entry for the GBPS, I've been looking at my ongoing study of the period. 15 years of study and I'm still no nearer identifying the closure of FPO H 12 and it's replacement by APO Y. The latest recorded date for FPO H 12 is 17th March 1919 and the earliest recorded date for APO Y is 21st March 1919, a non registered cover. Both Proud and Kennedy and Crabbe don't give an exact date. Firebrace recorded the 18th March 1919. However the Firebrace material I viewed when it came up for auction didn't contain any material to confirm this.

Does anybody have or has seen any stamps or covers cancelled the 18th to 20th March 1919 by either FPO H12 or APO Y.

I recently obtained a APO SX 3 Registered cover cancelled 1st April 1919 which is the first day of opening of the civilian branch at the Banke de Turkie, I also have a Registered cover cancelled APO Y 31st March 1919 which substantiates this.

With the use of APO SX 3 on Registered mail between 1st April to 16th July 1919 this raises the question how was civilian non registered mail handled. APO SX3 was located at the Banke de Turkie and APO Y was located at GHQ in Pera. APO Y handled military mail until November 1920 using the APO Y cancel with various code letter, did it also handle non registered mail or was a second APO Y Hand-stamp with code letters supplied to the civilian branch? Civilian non registered mail continued to be cancelled APO Y until 4th July 1919, Firebrace records 5th July 1919 as the earliest date of the APO Constantinople cancel. (I have a cover confirming this) Has anybody seen earlier examples? Firebrace recorded that this cancel was sent out from London on the 11th June 1919, therefore it could exist earlier.

APO Constantinople cancel is not recorded on registered mail until 18th July 1919, why? It was in use on non registered mail from the 5th July having replaced the APO Y cancel. This would support my point that non registered mail was handled at APO Y and the cancel was used there until 16th/17th July and then transfered to the civilian branch which handled all civilian mail from the 18th July Has anybody seen or recorded any material cancelled 17th July 1919, covers or identifiable stamps from registered mail?

I'd welcome members views,

I'm still looking to record all examples of registered mail during 1919 to try and work out quantities sent, exact date of introduction of the various registration etiquetes and censor labels and would welcome any information.

Best Regards

Chris
jimusedcontrols

Transfer from previous board: original post 1600

Post by jimusedcontrols »

Hi Chris
my buddy René Paschke has sent me scans of 3 x 1919 registered covers for you
Attachments
1600_1.jpg
1600_2.jpg
1600_3.jpg
crisgrim

Transfer from previous board: original post 1606

Post by crisgrim »

Hi

Many thanks for these scans, just the sort of information I'm looking for.

Chris
Mike Batty

Transfer from previous board: original post 1654

Post by Mike Batty »

Chris
1) Do you know the location of the British Post Office Constantinople, opened in 1857?
2) The British Army Post Office opened in January 1855. Where was it located?