Unidentified Archer Plate on Cover?

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Queen Victoria.
Wigan878

Unidentified Archer Plate on Cover?

Post by Wigan878 »

I'm new to collecting GB and would appreciate any comments on this cover I acquired in a general lot. Using the SG Spec. catalogue I think it could be SG16b on a cover dated 5th Dec 1853. Is that correct? Secondly, despite the missperf is it possible to plate the stamp? If so, what would be the best source for me to use?

Thank you in anticipation for any advice/comments.
Attachments
Scan 3.jpeg
Scan 4.jpeg
Scan 5.jpeg
bathcover

Re: Unidentified Archer Plate on Cover?

Post by bathcover »

Hello Wigan878
I am sory but I am going to disappoint you. Your stamp is not an Archer, but I understand entirely why you should think it is. The clearer of the two backstamps shows an obvious 1853 date, but the less clear one looks very much like it ends in a 4. So, I believe that the 1853 date is an error, but for such an error not to be corrected by December of the following year is something that I have never seen before! Anyway, the 1854 date is confirmed by the fact that the stamp clearly comes from Plate 185. This plate has strongly recut side-lines almost throughout and is amongst the easiest C1 plates to plate. The frame extension at upper right also fits Plate 185. My records of dated examples shows that most examples of Plate 185 are used between September and December 1854, so that is what it is.
Your apologetically!!
Mike Williams
Wigan878

Re: Unidentified Archer Plate on Cover?

Post by Wigan878 »

Thank you Mike. Not disappointed but fascinated and in awe of your knowledge and expertise.