SG152 with NP postmark

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
mcornes

SG152 with NP postmark

Post by mcornes »

I have a nice used copy of SG152 with a NP postmark, I think there is a D on top of the NP but cant be sure. I was wondering if this was the New Plymouth postmark? I have not found examples to compare it too.
NP Postmark.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Re: SG152 with NP postmark

Post by admin »

That'll be a Newspaper Branch postmark -- the bottom line would read "NPB" if the whole postmark was on the stamp. They used a lot of these rather crude-looking cancels. If that is a "D" (not sure) it would be a code letter to identify the handstamp.

Probably quite an unusual postmark on a 4d Plate 15 -- the NPB cancels tended to be used on low denomination stamps.
mcornes

Post by mcornes »

Thanks, I found that reference in my post mark book once i new what to look for, a London F/NPB. The 4d would cover the 12oz rate letter rate unless newspapers were sent at a lower rate. Maybe somebody was ordering "The Times" from London to be shipped somewhere!
Winston W

Post by Winston W »

mcornes wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:43 am The 4d would cover the 12oz rate letter rate unless newspapers were sent at a lower rate.
From the marvellous Postal Rates section, I suggest a bundle of newspapers would have been sent at the Printed Matter rate. For many QV years inc. around 1870, 4d would cover the 1lb rate.
mcornes

Post by mcornes »

I had not thought of that, makes more sense then international.