Perforation question

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Edward VIII.
Booster-T

Perforation question

Post by Booster-T »

Greetings all:

I recently got hooked on control/cylinder blocks and was able to acquire a number in a local auction. My problem is that the Four Kings SG catalogue states that for the 1½d red-brown stamp, Controls and Cylinder Numbers (Blocks of Six) are Perforation Type 5 (E/I) on both dot and no dot cylinders. Accordingly, they should have one extension hole in the left margin of each row and be imperf. on the bottom margin. Well, I have 3 blocks: 2 x A36/13 dot and one A36/13 no dot and they are all Type 6B(E/P) -- one extension hole in the left margin of each row and bottom margin perf. through. Given that these stamps were issued in 1936 and the SG catalogue I have is the 14th edition from 2015, one would think that if these existed they would have been noted. Am I missing something or am I wrong?

Thanks

Stephen
IMG_8530.JPG
jimusedcontrols

Re: Perforation question

Post by jimusedcontrols »

could well be encroachment; the top marginal perf does not seem to be in skew with the stamp perfs. I only collect used controlsand mostly singles, so have no comparisons...
James
17them+

Post by 17them+ »

Difficult to be sure from your photo but it looks like an encroachment to me. Some encroachments are very good and some dealers try to sell them as unique so be careful. Most encroachments are easy to spot as the perforations in the bottom margin are not in line with the rest of the perforations or the gap between the encroachment and the sheet is not correct. There have been articles in the past about this, in particular from Robin Restall. Have a search around on this site and you should find something.
Best regards
Barry
17them+

Post by 17them+ »

Difficult to be sure from your photo but it looks like an encroachment to me. Some encroachments are very good and some dealers try to sell them as unique so be careful. Most encroachments are easy to spot as the perforations in the bottom margin are not in line with the rest of the perforations or the gap between the encroachment and the sheet is not correct. There have been articles in the past about this, in particular from Robin Restall. Have a search around on this site and you should find something.
Best regards
Barry