E-Gauge

Any topic that we don't seem to have a particular section for ...
ian.k

E-Gauge

Post by ian.k »

I am having difficulty loading an image to the E-Gauge as a new member.

I have got to the stage of uploading a file which seems to work but leaves a tiny
icon or image in the top left hand corner.

Whatever image I save (from Photo shop, Word, or scanned) I get the same result on upload.
I tried to scan at 800 dpi but my scanner has 600dpi or 1000dpi

If anyone has some ideas please let me know.

Many thanks.

Ian
mindmapper

Re: E-Gauge

Post by mindmapper »

Ian,

I've checked the E-Gauge application & found to be functioning normally. On the two main points you've raised:

The resolution of the image must be 800ppi so as to match the resolution of the gauge. From your scanner I'd recommend scanning at 1000ppi, then re-scaling that at 80%. That would be better than taking a lower resolution scan at 600ppi and boosting it.

The gauge will only accept scans in either jpg or png formats. I've checked files in gif, tif, psp and psd formats which do not upload but leave the miniature icon upper left, as you've found. This suggests that the application is not detecting your files as jpg's. I've attached my reference test jpg file (measured at 4 3 3+ 7) which you may find useful to verify system functionality.

Regards,
Brian
Attachments
800ppi.jpg
ian.k

Post by ian.k »

Brian. Many thanks for the information and I hope that
will sort the problem.
Regards
Ian
Galveston

Post by Galveston »

mindmapper wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:50 pm Ian,

I've checked the E-Gauge application & found to be functioning normally. On the two main points you've raised:

The resolution of the image must be 800ppi so as to match the resolution of the gauge. From your scanner I'd recommend scanning at 1000ppi, then re-scaling that at 80%. That would be better than taking a lower resolution scan at 600ppi and boosting it.

The gauge will only accept scans in either jpg or png formats. I've checked files in gif, tif, psp and psd formats which do not upload but leave the miniature icon upper left, as you've found. This suggests that the application is not detecting your files as jpg's. I've attached my reference test jpg file (measured at 4 3 3+ 7) which you may find useful to verify system functionality.

Regards,
Brian
Brian -

I was hoping to ask a question on this post I came across. I was interested as to check my measuring skills - so I downloaded the image. But, the size comes across as not 800ppi. I then used download linked image and got the same size - see attached.

Is it suppose to be rescaled to get to 800ppi?

Tks. William

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 3.29.35 PM.png
Keep On Stamping
mindmapper

Post by mindmapper »

William,

I've downloaded the file from my earlier post and confirmed it is at 800ppi resolution. An independent check is to measure the gap between the tangents to the innermost arcs of the two reticulated networks. The average gap is 14.10mm for a large population of penny reds, corresponding to 444 pixels at 800ppi resolution. The downloaded image measured 443 pixels.

Regards,
Brian.
Galveston

Post by Galveston »

Thanks for the follow up. If you didn’t have to rescale, I shouldn’t have to either. So I guess ios is causing the issue as what I got is from a right-click download or open and save from browser. I got the same results both ways.

A problem for another time!
Keep On Stamping