Identifying D3(5)? Cancel

Material relating to the philately of the reign of Queen Victoria.
JWorek

Identifying D3(5)? Cancel

Post by JWorek »

1d red, plate 89, would have this stamp issued between 1864 and 1869. My first reaction in identifying the postmark is D35, with the D and 3 clear and the vertical of the 5 a little under-inked. D35, however, is the scarce Talybont, only on the list from 1881-1891 and with a period after the D and an angular 3, which my example does not show. My next thought was D33, but that would assume a rounded first 3 and and angular second, which I've never seen, although what appears a small inked extension angling up off the stamp to the flat top bar is intriguing. D33, however, is Newport, Essex; again, this is a scarce stamp, only on the lists from 1882-1906 and has a period after the D and two angular threes. The only other option I can think of is 035, assuming the left side of the 0 is completely under-inked and the vertical line through it is a transfer of some sort. In that case, it would be Oldbury; the dates would align (1855-1967), however the one 4VOS listed in the records has a CDS, angular 3, etc. Pretty specialized but any theories would be appreciated - perhaps I'm missing something obvious

Jordan Worek
IMG-0954.jpg
IMG-0953.jpg
JWorek

Re: Identifying D3(5)? Cancel

Post by JWorek »

Thanks to Mike Batty for reminding me of the Inland Branch D's for bulk mail. Mystery solved.