Classification of Edinburgh Duplex Postmarks

British postmarks of all kinds and eras.
131duplex

Classification of Edinburgh Duplex Postmarks

Post by 131duplex »

I am endeavouring to group my accumulation of Edinburgh 131 duplexes (excluding dotted circles and Brunswick) according to font characteristics, number and length of bars, style of any stars, St Andrews cross cuts and suchlike. I am aware that much has been written on the subject but need help with a particular classification that has transpired. A typed note came with an item acquired a while back and I should have taken up my query with the vendor at the time:
" (SP 19) 1882
A brown PSPC tied by a 2 bar, B5 type duplex code 11 -. Flat top3, 21mm long bars".
The cancellation has 2 bars above and below and the stars have no central spacing but cross over lineage.
Where can this 'B5' classification be found please? 131duplex
feldonstamps

Re: Classification of Edinburgh Duplex Postmarks

Post by feldonstamps »

The B5 type is from "Numbered Postmarks of Scotland" by James Douglas and published by the Scottish Postmark Group (No. 7) ... regards, Martin
131duplex

Re: Classification of Edinburgh Duplex Postmarks

Post by 131duplex »

Many thanks for your response Martin. I have made some progress since my original posting, having acquired copies of 'Numbered Postmarks of Scotland 1' & 'Experimental Duplex Cancellations of Scotland' produced by The Scottish Postmark Group.
The B5 category really only specifies a duplex with two bars above and two bars below the office number: the office name in the date stamp being straight. The item I was describing, however, has these features but is also a 'duplex star' and duplex stars are lumped with other categories under 'Special Purpose Cancellations' four pages further on. We are told that these matters will be dealt with in 'Volume 2'. I haven't been able to find such a volume. The Group produced the experimental duplex book referred to above and another on dotted circles but I have been unable to find a 'Numbered Postmarks of Scotland 2' which might include starred duplexes.
Two or three years ago I tried contacting the The Scottish Postmark Group on line but received no reply. A recent search for their website wasn't too serious but I came away believing that it was no longer extant.
Finally, please could you enlighten me on the meaning of 'the stars have no central spacing but cross over lineage'.
Best wishes, John